Derek Schuler
(Handout photo)

A second man has been arrested and charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of a Cheesecake Factory employee during an early morning fight near the Inner Harbor restaurant, Baltimore Police said Tuesday.

The move to arrest Derek Schuler, 24, of Glen Burnie, contradicts previous statements from police that he had tried to diffuse the situation and wouldn't be arrested.


According to new charging documents, Schuler had in fact joined in the April 7 fight that left 20-year-old Anthony Black bleeding profusely in front of the World Trade Center building downtown. He was arrested Monday, charged with first- and second-degree murder.

Police said Black was being picked up after a part-time shift at the Cheesecake Factory by his girlfriend about 2:18 a.m. in the 400 block of E. Pratt Street near the Inner Harbor, where the girlfriend was waiting in her vehicle.

When Black, also a full-time employee at Brio Tuscan Grille, got to the car, two intoxicated men were there hitting on his girlfriend, police said.

"That's my girl," Black said, according to police.

"Calm down, your girl is hot-looking," one of the men responded, according to a court charging document.

A fight broke out. Police initially said Matthew Darby, 24, of Frederick, then stabbed Black multiple times in the upper body. Black was pronounced dead at Maryland Shock Trauma Center at about 2:49 a.m.

Darby was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault and a weapons violation, police said. At the time of his arrest, police said they believed the second man at the scene had tried to break the fight up.

The new statement of charges against Schuler states that both Darby and Schuler "managed to fatally stab the victim."

When the fight broke out, the statement says, Darby began fighting Black and Schuler "joined in the fight."

When witnesses began screaming that they were calling police, Schuler stopped fighting and tried to pull Darby away from Black, the statement says.

Schuler was later interviewed after waiving his Miranda rights and "acknowledged his involvement with this offense and admitted to seeing the victim on the ground bleeding profusely.

"He could not account for how the victim got stabbed during the fight," the document says. He fled the scene with Darby afterward, the document says.

Schuler had no attorney listed in online court records Tuesday morning.

Darby's attorney, Dominic Iamele, could not be immediately reached for comment.