A dozen construction workers renovating a Navy Federal Credit Union building in Odenton were hospitalized Tuesday morning for carbon monoxide exposure from a propane-powered saw, the Anne Arundel County Fire Department said in a news release.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to the building at 1179 Annapolis Road at about 8 a.m. The crew had been working for about three hours when they reported headaches, dizziness, nausea and difficulty breathing, the fire department said.
The members of the crew — 11 men and one woman ranging in age from 22 to 55 — were taken by ambulance to hospitals for treatment. Their names were not released.
The Annapolis man who died in a workplace accident on the Severn River last month was an employee of the same company where a Crownsville man died while winterizing a shrink-wrapped boat two years ago.
“More than 800 parts per million can cause headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes, collapse and unconsciousness after one hour and death within 2-3 hours,” Capt. Russ Davies said in a news release.
Navy Federal employees began arriving for work before 9 a.m. and were barred from entering until the fire department ventilated the building, with large red floor fans at the front door.