A two-alarm fire that destroyed Sailor Oyster Bar on West Street was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, according to the Annapolis Fire Department.
Fire investigators are still determining the monetary loss of the blaze, which ripped through the oyster restaurant last week, shuttering the bar for what owners expect to be several months.
Investigators do not know what the smoking materials ignited, but Annapolis Fire Lt. Ken White noted the fire started in the rear outside area between the restaurant and a neighboring building.
The restaurant burst into flames at 8 p.m. on June 8. It took nearly an hour for about 60 firefighters to control to the blaze. The restaurant had smoke alarms activated, and sprinklers kept the fire under control.
The restaurant was in full service when the blaze began and customers were ushered out by restaurant staff as the fire grew. No injuries were reported from the fire.
Two neighboring businesses were temporarily closed following the fire because of minor damage.
Multiple online fundraisers for the restaurant’s staff surpassed their goals last week, and its staff plans on selling merchandise at the restaurant to support its revival. Other area businesses, including Garry’s Grill, Heroes Pub and Tsunami are holding fundraisers in coming weeks, as well.