The Maryland Board of Public Works declared the historic Capt. William H. Burtis house to be property surplus Wednesday, clearing another hurdle for it be transferred to the city of Annapolis by the end of the summer.
The board, led by Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, Treasurer Nancy Kopp and Comptroller Peter Franchot, approved the move at Wednesday’s meeting.
The property can now continue through the transfer process, which includes two appraisals and a second appearance before the Board of Public Works for final disposition.
“Depending on the transfer process, General Services will request Board of Public Works approval for the disposal of the Burtis House property to the City of Annapolis by the end of summer 2020,” said DGS spokesman Nick Cavey.
Mayor Gavin Buckley has called the Burtis House a “crucial piece of the puzzle” in the city’s ongoing resiliency efforts. The property is located along Ego Alley where significant redevelopment is planned in the coming years including the installation of flood barriers. A portion of the dock is expected to be raised several feet to address nuisance flooding.
“We needed to take possession of the property in order to connect the city’s resiliency efforts to those of the U.S. Naval Academy," he said in November. "It’s the keystone of our City Dock resilience strategy.”
The house was previously home to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources police and was most recently used by the National Sailing Hall of Fame before the group left in 2019. It has been left vacant since.
The state acquired the parcels at 67-69 Prince George Street for $100,000 in 1971 and the third parcel at 71 Prince George a decade later for $75,000, according to a General Services Department document.