The Baltimore man who was fatally shot by a Howard County police officer during an arrest attempt Thursday in Columbia has been identified as Percy Holland, 32, of the 500 block of Preston Street.

After assaulting his estranged girlfriend at her home in Baltimore and fleeing with their 2-year-old child, Holland was located at the home of an acquaintance in the 9000 block of Constant Course during a joint operation by Baltimore City and Howard County officers. Holland was charged in a Baltimore warrant with first- and second-degree assault, gun charges and reckless endangerment.


Holland threatened officers, when they arrived at the Columbia residence Thursday evening. He said he had a gun and was going to shoot the police and himself. Although officers repeatedly directed him to show his hands, Holland refused and continued to make statements to the officers, including: "You're going to have to kill me or I'm going to kill you," and "I have a gun, I will use it," according to investigators. As he made furtive movements toward one of the officers, he was shot.

Family members told police that Holland had made suicidal comments earlier in the day and had also told them the police would not take him alive, according to investigators.

According to the warrant, Holland broke into an ex-girlfriend's home just after midnight Thursday, woke her by putting a gun to her head and threatened to kill her. He held the woman overnight and assaulted her. In the morning, she escaped and called 911. Holland fled with their child.

Police from both jurisdictions approached the front and back of the house in Columbia Thursday night. A resident let them in the front door. Holland confronted officers outside the back entry to the home and the exchange ensued, with Holland refusing to show his hands, police said.

Holland was pronounced dead at Howard County General Hospital. Police have not released details on how many times or where the suspect was shot. Police did not locate a gun at the scene.

The officer involved was Sgt. Justin Baker, 34, a patrol supervisor with 12 years experience in the police department. He is on administrative leave during an internal affairs investigation, which is standard procedure.

The child was not at the residence at the time of the incident and was located unharmed at the home of a relative, police said.