A gas leak in Locust Point forced the evacuation Monday of occupants of several blocks of rowhouses as well as workers at the Under Armour headquarters. The broken pipe was repaired within a few hours.
The leak was reported in the 1100 block of Hull St. about 10:30 a.m. A crew of contractors told fire officials they inadvertently struck a gas line while working on road repairs, fire spokesman Chief Kevin Cartwright said.
Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. crews repaired the gas line by about 1:30 p.m.
There were no reports of injuries.
In all, hundreds were evacuated. All Under Armour employees were evacuated from the company's headquarters buildings, company spokeswoman Diane Pelkey said.
A recording on the company's main phone line advised customers that representatives were not available because of an "unscheduled fire drill."
About 1,200 people work for Under Armour at the complex, Pelkey said. Other tenants include AOL, Mercy Medical Center and a child care center.
Residents in the 1000 and 1100 blocks of Hull St., 1000 and 1100 blocks of Towson St. and 1400 block of Haubert St. were evacuated. Residents in the area were advised not to use gas stoves or other gas-powered utilities until further notice from firefighters or BGE officials.
Cartwright said he did not know how many people were evacuated.
It was the second major gas main rupture in the city in less than a week. A main running under East Monument Street was knocked out Wednesday when an underground storm tunnel collapsed. Nearby gas customers could be without service for weeks, BGE officials said.
Monday's main break was not caused by any infrastructure problems, BGE spokesman Robert Gould said. The contractor, which was not working for BGE, appeared to have accidentally struck the main, he said.