Boy, 5, dead after beltway on-ramp collision

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

A 5-year-old boy died Wednesday after the car he was riding in with his family was rear-ended on a Baltimore Beltway on-ramp, police said.

Shortly before 3 p.m., an SUV rear-ended a sedan carrying two adults and two children on the ramp from northbound Interstate 83 to the inner loop of Interstate 695, police said. Cars were braking suddenly on the ramp, police said, and a chain reaction ensued, causing two additional cars to be rear-ended.

Jake Owen and his sister, Alexandra Owen, 9, were flown to the pediatric trauma unit at Johns Hopkins Children's Center, police said.

Jake was pronounced dead at the hospital about an hour after the accident, Maryland State Police said, and Alexandra was stable Wednesday evening following treatment for a broken leg and other injuries.

The children's parents, driver James Frederick Owen and front passenger Susan Yum Owen, were notified of their son's death by medical staff, police said. The Owens, who are from South Baltimore, were all wearing seat belts at the time of the crash.

James and Susan Owen were also taken to the hospital and treated for injuries from the crash, police said.

The four people in the two other cars struck from behind were not injured.

The preliminary assessment indicates that the driver of the SUV was speeding, according to a statement from Maryland State Police's Golden Ring Barrack, which is continuing to investigate.

The driver of the SUV, Devin Xavier McKeiver, a 23-year-old from Baltimore County, was transported to Sinai Hospital and treated for minor injuries, police said. He was released from the hospital by 7 p.m.

Maryland State Police are working with the Baltimore County State's Attorney's Office to determine whether charges will be filed against McKeiver, police said.

Traffic on Interstate 83 was backed up for several hours Wednesday afternoon because of the accident.

As of 6:30 p.m., all lanes were open to traffic.