The bathroom of a home in the 5500 block of Lothian Road in Baltimore shows signs of a triple shooting Monday.
The bathroom of a home in the 5500 block of Lothian Road in Baltimore shows signs of a triple shooting Monday. (Baltimore Sun photo by Justin Fenton)

Hours after a triple shooting that claimed the life of one man, signs of the carnage remained all too clear in this Mid-Govans home in North Baltimore.

A large pool of blood at the foot of a leather couch. A bedroom door kicked in, the door frame splintered. Blood on the bathroom window ledge, where an open window and drops of blood below on the front porch suggested someone leaned out.


On Monday morning, Sean Lewis, 33, surveyed the crime scene at his home — where his godmother and two friends were shot while he was away — with somber detachment.

"This isn't no robbery. This was something else," he said. "This was personal."

According to police, officers were called to the home in the 5500 block of Lothian Road about 1:30 a.m. for an incident that detectives are investigating as a home invasion.

They found one man, identified by police as 35-year-old Quintin Winder, who was shot in the head and later died. The other victims were a 50-year-old woman who was shot in the foot and a 28-year-old man who was shot in the face, said Sgt. Anthony Smith, a police spokesman.

Smith said one of the men was targeted and the others were bystanders. No arrests have been made.

Lewis said the group had lived in the home, in a quiet neighborhood of single-family homes, for six years and never had any problems. He said he knew the man who died as "Jeff," and said he ran a tree service.

He identified the female victim as his godmother, Alfreda Ellis. Lewis said he was away when the shooting occurred. "I came home, everybody's gone and the police were out front," he said.

Residents say the area is generally safe, though police records posted on the city's Open Baltimore website show there have been two auto thefts, two burglaries, a robbery and an aggravated assault with a knife in that block since July 2011. The robbery took place at the same home as Monday's shooting: Police say a female resident reported being robbed of jewelry by an acquaintance but later refused to cooperate with investigators.

Anthony Guglielmi, the chief spokesman for the Police Department, said police believe Monday's shooting was drug-related based on "prior contacts with law enforcement" for one of the victims and "intelligence gathered at the scene."

Winder had a minor criminal record, records show, with his most recent arrest in 2007 for illegal gambling.

Outside the home, gloves used by paramedics or crime-scene technicians were strewn on the front yard of Lewis' home, as well as on an adjacent street and a rear alley. Blood droplets were visible through the back alley, indicating the victims or their attackers had fled from the rear.

Lewis said he can't imagine continuing to live in the home after what happened. Blood was smeared on the floors and most walls.

He couldn't guess a motive for the crime. "Everybody knows everybody here," he said. "This was some personal [expletive], but I don't know why."