Health officials are investigating after three students at the University of Maryland at College Park were sickened with salmonella, school officials said Friday.

In a statement, David McBride, director of the University Health Center, said two of the three students had eaten at campus dining facilities and one had eaten elsewhere.

Advertisement

“While there is no indication at this time that the source of this infection came from campus, we will keep the campus community informed once we learn from the state and county health departments if additional precautions should be taken,” the statement said.

Salmonella is a bacterial infection that can be transmitted through contaminated food or contact with an infected animal. It can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, and leads to 1.2 million infections and 450 deaths a year in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Prince George’s County and Maryland state health officials recommend washing hands and other surfaces that come in contact with raw meat before cooking.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement