Mushrooms: The conventional wisdom is that simply wiping mushrooms clean with a damp cloth or paper towel, or even a pastry brush, is preferable to rinsing them in water. That's never a bad move, but know that you can safely rinse or dunk at least some varieties. White mushrooms are your safest bet. The good folks at Cook's Illustrated, who test these kinds of things, found that a pound of white mushrooms only absorbed 1 tablespoon of water after being submerged in water for 1 minute. Oyster mushrooms, on the other hand, absorbed ¼ cup. The reason? Oysters, as well as varieties such as portobello and shiitake, have lots of gills, which can trap lots of water. Especially if you plan to roast gill-heavy mushrooms and need to ensure the water is driven off, you should stick with wiping them clean. In fact, Deborah Madison, in "The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone," says she often finds that oyster, as well as enoki, mushrooms usually come out clean enough to not even need a wipe-down.