Times are tough. If we’re not mired into immobility by depression, then we’re poised on the precipice of insurmountable problems. And that’s just with the news out of Washington D.C.
We need to bring the funny to help banish the blues. Luckily for us SoFlo has comedy clubs and improvisation performances throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.
Here’s a list that just might give you the lift of laughter you’ve been looking for.
Actor’s Rep Improv Shows
• Where: Actor’s Rep, 1000 N. Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach. There is parking in a gated lot behind the theater, which is accessible from Ninth Street.
• What: The shows are monthly, usually on the third Saturday. Like many improv companies, Actor’s Rep does a short form (think the TV show “Whose Line Is It Anyway”) and a long form (scenes and mini plays) based on suggestions from the audience.
• How much: Admission is $10.
• Contact: 561-833-7529 or ActorsRep.org
Bay Club Comedy
• Where: Bay Club, 1930 Bay Rd., Miami Beach. There is street parking and a lot across the street.
• What: This is an intimate space where touring comics can get in an extra set every other Monday and it’s all under-the-radar, which is the way they like it. By they, we mean the organizers, Will Lopez (former lead singer of the Cuban punk band Guajiro) and Dr. Alex Morizio (chief of the intensive care unit medicine at Palmetto General Hospital).
• How much: Free
Boca Black Box
• Where: 8221 Glades Road, Boca Raton. Ample parking in the International Jewelers Exchange Plaza where Boca Black Box is located.
• What: Nicknamed “the Box,” this venue has brought in some big stars in the stand-up world since it opened four years ago, including Andrew Dice Clay, Robert Klein, Rita Rudner, Dom Irrera, Michele Balan and Stewie Stone. The Box usually books 15-20 comedy shows a month. Additionally the production office also books six to eight comedy shows a month at other venues such as the Coral Springs Center for the Arts, the Aventura Arts and Cultural Center and Nova Southeastern University. You need to know that the the Box has theater-style seating. If you want a drink from the bar, you text your order in so there aren’t a lot of servers interrupting the show.
• How much: Admission ranges from $25-$100 with an average of $35 for most shows. There is no drink minimum.
• Contact: 561-483-9036 or BocaBlackBox.com
The Comedy Inn
• Where: Quality Inn, 14501 S. Dixie Highway, Miami (just south of the Falls). There is free parking at the hotel.
• What: Yes, it’s a real inn, or more accurately, it is a renovated 1970s era Quality Inn. Housed inside is a comedy club that stages three to four comedy shows per weekend often starring headliners from New York City and Los Angeles. They perform in what was the ballroom, but now has been re-imagined into a sort of speakeasy with a full bar.
• How much: $40. Admission cost includes open bar.
• Contact: Email RSVP@ComedyInn.com or ComedyInn.com
• Where: South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, 10950 SW 211 St., Cutler Bay. Free parking on site.
• What: For the past three years, Comic Cure has been producing stand-up shows throughout South Florida that put the spotlight on local talent and raise money for local causes. Comic Cure also produces shows that highlight underrepresented comedic voices such as Florida’s Funniest Female, Pride Comedy Festival and Black Laughs Matter.
• How much: $20. Other Comic Cure events range $10-$40.
The Cricket Comedy Club
• Where: The Oakland Park Elks Lodge 2407, 240 W. Prospect Road, Oakland Park. There is free parking in the Lodge’s lot and in the municipal lot across the street.
• What: The Cricket Comedy Club does an open mic night and professional shows at the Elks Lodge, but also book acts into other SoFlo venues.
• How much: Open mic nights are free. Professional shows usually cost $20 (plus drink prices).
• Contact: 954-600-5816 or email Management@TheCricketComedyClub.com or TheCricketComedyClub.com.
The Have Nots
• Where: Open Stage Club, 2325 Galiano St., Coral Gables. Parking is $1 an hour in the garage.
• What: This group of comics started out in 2010 by putting together their own shows in small venues throughout Miami. Now they have a performance home and even bring in acts.
• How much: $15-$25.
• Contact: email email@example.com or HaveNotsComedy.com.
• Where: Improv U Theater and Training Center, 105 NW Fifth Ave., Delray Beach. Free parking in the venue’s lot.
• What: There are monthly improv, stand-up and open mic shows. Every first Saturday of the month is “The Business Casual Comedy Show” with the main cast and guests. There are also improv and stand-up classes offered.
• How much: The shows are $10 (open mic is $5). The improv class is $10 and the stand-up class is $15.
• Contact: 844-561-4242 or TheImprovU.com.
Just The Funny
Where: 3119 Coral Way, Miami. Free parking in lot next to venue.
What: This improvisation and sketch comedy troupe’s performance space is also the home of the Miami Improv Festival. There are also classes at Just The Funny.
How much: $8 and $12 online; $10 and $15 at the boxoffice.
• Where: The Vanguard, 1501 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale. Free parking in lot behind theater and metered parking on the street.
• What: A series of shows from a slate of stand-up comedians curated by Fort Lauderdale’s own funnyman Gene Merola.
• How much: $25
• Contact: 954-610-7263 or VanguardArts.org.
• Where: pop-up performances all over Miami-Dade.
• What: This comedy producer curates comedic performers and live shows in restaurants, lounges, bars and theaters. In addition to giving up-and-comers some stage time, the booking company has a reputation for allowing big name comedians places to workshop their new material. Now talents such as Mo Mandel, Luis J. Gomez and Jim Florentine have been known to schedule a few shows when coming through SoFlo.
• How much: The weekly shows are free. There is also a buy-one-get-one-for free cocktail offer for $15 online and $20 at the door. The ticketed events with the more famous comedians generally cost $15-$50.
• Contact: MiamiComedy.com.
• Where: 3450 NW 83rd Ave., Suite 224, Doral. There is free parking for two hours in two parking garages and then each additional hour is $1. There is valet parking for $8
• What: Every week Miami Improv has a new act taking the stage at their new location in CityPlace Doral. They’ve also recently added a late-night menu option. And there is a five-week “Stand-Up 101” class for $205.
• How much: Admission is usually between $15-$40. There is a two drink minimum.
• Contact: 305-441-8200 or MiamiImprov.com.
NYSW Jazz Lounge
• Where: 107 SW Sixth St. Fort Lauderdale. There is free parking on the street and along the railroad tracks.
• What: On Wednesdays this club holds “Jokes and Jazz,” hosted by Miami-based comedian Larry Dogg. The show starts around 7:30 p.m., but doors open at 5 p.m. because happy hour is from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday is also Ladies Night, so women get free wine from 7-9 p.m. and half-off of all appetizers. In between comedy acts, a jazz combo plays.
• How much: After 7 p.m. admission is $10.
• Contact: 954-765-6141 or NYSWjazzlounge.com.
Palm Beach Improv
• Where: 550 S. Rosemary Ave., Suite 250. West Palm Beach. There are four parking lots in CityPlace and the prices range from $1-$12 depending on the time of day. There is valet parking for $12.
• What: The comedy club’s real name is Improv Comedy Club and Dinner Theatre, but everyone just calls it the Palm Beach Improv. The venue is known for bringing in major headliners. You can also order dinner, which is brought in from Copper Blues Rock Pub and Kitchen next door. And there is a five-week “Stand-Up 101” class for $205.
• How much: Tickets can range from $20-$40. There is a two-drink minimum. There is VIP seating and service for $70 and $100 for two people.
• Contact: 561-833-1812 or PalmBeachImprov.com.
Sick Puppies Comedy
• Where: The troupe will soon have a performance home here in SoFlo (stay tuned). For now they have events at places like Yello Creative Arts and Events Center (2495 E. Commercial Blvd., Fort Lauderdale), Robot Brewing Company and Quixotic Lounge (2621 N. Federal Highway, Boca Raton) and Organic Movements (2400 NW Boca Raton Blvd., #12, Boca Raton).
• What: This Boca Raton-based comedy company do improv and stand-up comedy shows at various locales. They also facilitate improvisation classes..
• How much: Some performances are free. Other cost up to $25.
• Contact: 954-667-7735 or SickPuppiesComedy.com
• Where: 5865 NE Second Ave., Miami. There is free parking all along 59th Street.
• What: This improv comedy theater stages performances every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday starting at 8:30 p.m. Villain Theater is also a training center where nine-week courses are $285.
• How much: Tickets are $12 online and $15 at the door.
• Contact: 786-391-2241 or VillainTheater.com.
The Wise Guys Comedy Show
• Where: Tavolino Della Notte restaurant, 10181 W. Sample Road, Coral Springs.
• What: Staged by Tadda Productions and Advisory, these stand-up shows featuring nationally known comedians usually happen monthly on Wednesday nights.
• How much: $15.
• Contact: 954-509-0046 or Facebook.com/TADDAProductions/.