Christian Siriano's willingness to dress all types of women regardless of ethnicity, size or age has quickly made him a favorite of fashionistas, body positive supporters and diversity advocates alike. Now, we can add Barbie to the list.
The Annapolis native and Baltimore School for the Arts graduate worked with Mattel to create a collection of Barbie dolls wearing versions of red carpet looks he's created for celebrities like Leslie Jones, Solange Knowles and Sarah Jessica Parker.
"Barbie has always been a huge inspiration to me and I'm honored to be teaming up with this iconic brand," Siriano said in a news release.
The five-doll collection includes dolls that are as diverse as the celebrities that have worn his designs — with varying hues and body types.
"It's especially exciting to be designing an array of inclusive and diverse doll looks that can allow girls to see themselves better represented when they play," Siriano said. "It was incredible to recreate iconic red carpet moments and dress my latest muse, Barbie, in a new look from my Resort 2018 collection."
However, people won't actually be able to play with the dolls — the collection is one-of-a-kind, and not for sale.
The offerings show Siriano's range as a designer. The replicas include include:
- Sarah Hyland's two-piece gown from the 2014 Emmys. The doll even features Hyland's top-knot hairstyle from that evening.
- The gown that Sarah Jessica Parker wore on the September 2011 cover of Marie Claire. The gown even features the individual rose pedaled dramatic skirt from the original.
- Solange Knowles’ yellow silky ensemble that she wore at Art Basel in 2015. The garment was from Siriano's 2014 spring collection.
- The red dress with a high side slit that Siriano custom-made for Leslie Jones' 2016 "Ghostbusters.” The doll wearing this dress even has a natural-looking hair updo a la the comedian.
- And finally, a raven-haired doll wears a color-blocked white and pale blue tulle dress from Siriano’s 2018 Spring resort collection.