Sister Catherine Cesnik case: Shoes Offer Scant Hope On Nun

City police say that they have little hope of connecting the disappearance of Sister Catherine Cesnik with a pair of black formal high-heeled shoes found Friday at the Fort Meade reservation. However, all clues must be checked, the police say.
The well-worn black shoes were found about 2 miles from the site where the slain 20-year-old Joyce Helen Malecki was found Thursday on the Army reservation.
The FBI has reportedly discounted any connection between the recently found shoes and the Malecki murder. The Malecki girl's brown shoes were found next to her body and are in the custody of the FBI.
Army officials at Fort Meade said that the city Homicide Squad, which is investigating the disappearance of Sister Cesnik, is scheduled to pick up the shoes Monday.
"We have no indication that that they are Sister Cesnik's shoes, but we will check it out,” Capt. John C. Barnold, chief of the homicide unit, said yesterday. “The only similarity is that the shoes Sister Catherine was last seen wearing were also black.”
A source at Fort Meade said that the newly found shoes “are well-worn and are the type worn to a formal dance, hardly the kind worn by a Catholic sister.”
Sister Catherine disappeared November 7 after leaving her Southwest Baltimore apartment to go shopping.
The FBI reported yesterday that the Lansdowne Improvement Association has offered to give a $250 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the death of the Malecki girl.
The state medical examiner’s office also reported yesterday that the final autopsy results showed that the murdered Lansdowne girl died of strangulation. Her body was deposited in the Little Patuxent River after she had been stabbed in the throat and choked.
The Baltimore Sun is republishing archived coverage of the unsolved 1969 murder of Sister Catherine Cesnik, which is the subject of a Netflix documentary series set to debut May 19. Cesnik, a 26-year-old Baltimore nun, was reported missing in November 1969 and her body was found in Lansdowne in January 1970. These stories appear as they were originally written in The Sun or The Evening Sun. 

Recommended on Baltimore Sun