Five Maryland breweries won medals at the annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver over the weekend, including Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant in Annapolis, which won a gold medal in the "Smoke Beer" category for its Rauchbier.
The festival was founded in 1982, and has grown each year, according to its official website. This year, 268 medals were awarded.
The full list of Maryland winners:
• Category: Smoke Beer — Rauchbier (Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant — Annapolis)
• Category: German-Style Sour Ale — Old Pro Gose (Union Craft Brewing)
• Category: American-Belgo-Style Ale — Belgian IPA (Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant — Rockville)
• Category: Golden or Blonde Ale — Gold (Heavy Seas Beer)
• Category: Chocolate Beer — Sweet Baby Jesus (DuClaw Brewing Co.)