For more than a year, things had been pretty quiet on the Beach House front — until this morning. The Baltimore-based duo of Alex Scally and Victoria Legrand will release "Depression Cherry," their fifth full-length album, on Aug. 28, according to the band's label, Sub Pop Records.
"Depression Cherry," the follow-up to May 2012's "Bloom," was recorded and produced by the band and longtime collaborator Chris Coady at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa, La., between November 2014 and January 2015. The record features a plain, deep-red cover and is available for pre-order now.
Instead of including quotes from Scally, Legrand or Coady on the inspiration or influences for the record, the Sub Pop press release included selected lyrics from the tracklist and "a few quotes that we feel relate to the feeling and themes of this record." You can read both below:
1. "Levitation" — “The branches of the trees, they will hang lower now, you will grow too quick, then you will get over it”
2. "Sparks" — “It’s a gift, taken from the lips, you live again”
3. "Space Song" — “What makes this fragile world go ’round, were you ever lost, was she ever found?”
4. "Beyond Love" — “They take the simple things inside you and put nightmares in your hands”
5. "10:37" — “ Here she comes, all parts of everything, stars in the motherhand”
6. "PPP" — “Did you see it coming, it happened so fast, the timing was perfect, water on glass…”
7. "Wildflower" — “ What’s left you make something of it"
8. "Bluebird" — “I would not ever try to capture you"
9. "Days of Candy"— “I know it comes too soon, the universe is riding off with you ... I want to know you there, the universe is riding off with you."
Quotes related to "Depression Cherry:"
• "I’ll never be able to be here again. As the minutes slide by, I move on. The flow of time is something I cannot stop. I haven’t a choice. I go. One caravan has stopped, another starts up. There are people I have yet to meet, others I’ll never see again. People who are gone before you know it, people who are just passing through. Even as we exchange hellos, they seem to grow transparent. I must keep living with the flowing river before my eyes.”— from "Kitchen" by Banana Yoshimoto
• “We inhabit a world in which the future promises endless possibilities and the past lies irretrievably behind us. The arrow of time … is the medium of creativity in terms of which life can be understood.” — from "The Arrow of Time" by Peter Coveney and Roger Highfield
• “Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things.” — from "Parerga and Paralipomena" by Arthur Schopenhauer
• "Hark, now hear the sailors cry, feel the air and see the sky, let your soul and spirit fly, into the mystic ... when the fog horn blows, I want to hear it, I don’t have to fear it”— from “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison
According to the release, "Depression Cherry" is "a return to simplicity." As the band grew more successful in recent years, the venues it played grew as well, which drove the band toward a "louder, more aggressive place." The new album has allowed the members to "evolve while fully ignoring the commercial context in which we exist."
The announcement also came with many upcoming tour dates around the world but none in Baltimore as of now. Go to the band's website for the tour's official itinerary.