- Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery as it commemorates June 19 of 1865, the day that enslaved people in Galveston, Tx. finally got news of the emancipation proclamation. Here are a few ways to celebrate this year in Maryland.
Most popular entertainment
- Watch Marin Alsop get honored by the BSO, run for a good cause at the GBMC Father’s Day 5K and 1 mile Fun Walk or be among the first to snag a copy of Laura Lippman’s latest mystery novel.
- Prices are sky-high for Maryland restaurantgoers’ favorite ingredient. It’s leaving business owners with a difficult choice: To raise prices and risk alienating consumers, or limit crab offerings and disappoint crustacean-hungry guests.
- Film and TV actor Ned Beatty, who was nominated for an Oscar for his supporting role in "Network" and appeared in a number of the most significant American films of the 1970s, has died. He was 83.
- Despite the celebratory atmosphere and many heartfelt verbal bouquets being showered upon the Maestra, for some observers, Alsop’s 14-year tenure also includes missed opportunities — for her and the BSO perhaps, but more importantly, for Baltimore.
Baltimore area events
- Gordon Becker, who created a business that decorated scores of malls for the holidays and who was a leader on the early boards of Center Stage and Everyman theaters, died of cancer June 4 at his Towson home. He was 87.
- After years of neglect — and one unfortunate viral video of a rat nosing through a bakery — Lexington Market, one of the nation’s oldest public markets, is in the midst of a multimillion dollar overhaul as it prepares to move into a new building early next year.
- There are plenty of events to choose from for both adults and kids this week. Learn about the Black experience at a Juneteenth event, sample a selection of food and drinks from area food trucks or explore the science behind superheroes.
- The school’s relocation is both a sign that the pandemic’s grip on our lives is loosening — and a testament to vision of the school's founder and CEO, James Lowe.
- “The Bachelorette” returns to ABC next week on June 7 and Maryland fans should get excited — an Ellicott City native is one of the contestant’s vying for Katie Thurston’s love.