Morgan shooting suspect had drugs, according to court documents

The Washington man accused of shooting a Morgan State University football player Friday was carrying 16 baggies of suspected marijuana when he was arrested, according to court documents.

A Baltimore City police officer spotted 20-year-old Keith Robertson running through traffic on Hillen Road shortly after the shooting was reported Friday afternoon. Robertson was trying to shove a handgun into the pocket of his hoodie as he ran, according to the documents.

Robertson, of the 4900 block of G St., has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault and several gun charges in the shooting of Tyrell Okoro. The 19-year-old was shot in both legs and the torso outside a dormitory on the last day of classes before exams. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.

The motive in the shooting is not clear; university officials said it grew out of a dispute between two people but have not provided more details.

According to the documents, Paul Markowski, an officer in training, was responding to the shooting when he saw Robertson running north on Hillen Road. Markowski stopped his patrol car and chased Robertson on foot.

Robertson tried to hide behind a security booth, but Markowski found him — and a 9 mm handgun, the documents say. Robertson told the officer that he had the gun because "Someone said, 'Yo, take this,' " according to the documents.

Robertson also admitted that he had marijuana in his pocket, which led Markowski to discover the small bags of suspected marijuana, according to the documents.

It is unclear how police and prosecutors decided to also charge Robertson in the shooting. A spokesman for Baltimore State's Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein said that another set of court documents, which explain why Robertson was charged with the shooting, were not available Monday.

Friday's shooting is the second to occur on Morgan's campus this semester. In September, a teenager visiting his cousin, also a member of the football team, was shot in the university student center. A 20-year-old Northeast Baltimore man was arrested in that incident.



Recommended on Baltimore Sun