Archbishop Curley High School leaders have confirmed two cases of COVID-19 within the school community this week.
In a letter sent to families Monday, Archbishop Curley Principal Brian Kohler said two individuals associated with the school learned Saturday they had tested positive for the coronavirus. A third individual has been tested and is awaiting results, the letter states.
While classes do not begin until Sept. 8, students were on the Baltimore campus last week for an orientation. The individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 were on campus Wednesday. School officials believe “close contact” occurred off campus later that day, Kohler said in the letter.
The notice was sent to parents and guardians “in an effort to be fully transparent and dispel any misinformation,” said Lauren Robinson, a spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Baltimore, in an email.
“The Archdiocese and Archbishop Curley High School cannot control actions and behaviors off-campus; however, school administration remains vigilant, disciplined, and committed to ensuring appropriate wellness screening, social distancing, and safety protocols are followed by all students, and staff while on campus,” Robinson said in the email.
Like other Archdiocese of Baltimore schools, Curley will return to largely in-person classes when school begins next week.
Parents had completed a health survey prior to their students’ arrival last week and temperatures were checked at the entrance door. Masks also were worn during the orientation and seating was spaced for the program, the letter states.
School administrators have been in contact with the Baltimore City Health Department. Officials conducted an investigation to identify individuals who may have been exposed and have notified them directly, the letter states.
Curley staff also sanitized “all necessary locations where these individuals were located while on campus.” School officials are asking families to self-monitor for symptoms.