The best material for dog houses
Dog houses are a fun way to customize a spot for your furry friend in the backyard. There are so many on the market these days, you may have a hard time selecting which type of doghouse is right for your four-legged friend.
One of the biggest choices you will need to make is whether to get a plastic dog house or a wooden one. A plastic dog house will be less expensive and easier to put together, but a wooden dog house will hold up better over time and likely be a more attractive choice for your backyard.
What to know about plastic dog houses
A plastic dog house is a budget-friendly way to give your dog a place of their own to relax and sleep. Today’s plastic dog houses are sturdy, well-made and offer a lot of perks to dog owners.
Plastic dog house pros
There are lots of benefits to buying a plastic dog house for your furry friend.
- Plastic dog houses are relatively easy to keep clean. Spray them down regularly with a hose and dish soap to keep them looking new year-round.
- If you want to be able to move your dog house around the yard, either because you are mowing or simply want to change your backyard layout, plastic dog houses are lightweight enough to move easily.
- Privacy is easy to come by with a plastic dog house. If your dog likes to be able to retreat from people or noises, a plastic dog house will offer a quieter retreat than a wooden dog house.
- A plastic dog house can withstand the weather easily. Plastic is waterproof, meaning your plastic doghouse should fare well in wet conditions.
- Plastic dog houses shouldn't attract insects.
- Plastic dog houses are fairly easy to assemble. If you want to set something up quickly or aren't great with complicated assembly, a plastic dog house is a solid choice.
Plastic dog house cons
Plastic dog houses aren’t as elegant or aesthetically pleasing as their wooden counterparts. In addition, there are a few other disadvantages to plastic dog houses.
- If you are looking for a dog house that can be easily stored when not in use, a plastic dog house is not for you. It cannot be easily broken down and will need to be stored in a garage or shed as is.
- A plastic dog house, if left in the sun, will fade quickly, making the dog house less visually appealing over time.
- Plastic is hard to mend if it is cracked. If your plastic dog house cracks due to wear and tear, it will likely need to be used as is or replaced.
Best plastic dog houses
ZENY Plastic Dog house: available on Amazon
This durable, waterproof dog house will give your pup a spot to relax. The roof can be easily detached to clean the house inside and out.
LUCKYERMORE Dog house: available on Amazon
If you need a spot where you can lock up your dog while you are away, this dog house gives you that option. It is both waterproof and windproof, making it a great space for your dog to retreat.
What to know about wood dog houses
Wooden dog houses come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and some can be easily folded flat to be moved or stored. Wooden dog houses hold up well over time and offer a lot of benefits to you and your dog.
Wood dog house pros
Here are some of the benefits of selecting a wooden dog house for your four-legged friend.
- Wooden dog houses are very durable and meant to be used outdoors. Properly-treated wood should not decay and should hold up well through the years.
- Treated wood should not attract insects.
- Wooden dog houses don't have to look like an ordinary dog house — they can be more creatively made than plastic doghouses. Wood can be easily added on to or adapted.
- Some wooden dog houses can be folded flat to be moved or stored.
- Wooden dog houses with slats between the wood offer better ventilation and airflow than plastic counterparts.
Wood dog house cons
- If you are not great with DIY, a wooden dog house may be frustrating — it generally needs more assembly than a plastic one would.
- Wooden dog houses will need to be maintained. Wood will need to be sanded and strained every few years to keep it looking fresh, and in order to hold up in various types of weather, the wood will need to be treated.
- Wooden dog houses can be quite heavy — in general, you set it up in your yard and do not move it again.
Best wood doghouses
Midwest Homes for Pets Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog house: available on Amazon: This dog house folds flat should you want to store it during colder months or transport it to a neighbor's house. Bonus: This dog house doesn't require any tools to assemble.
Petsfit Wooden Dog house: available on Amazon:
This dog house is easy to assemble and has an asphalt roof, enabling it to withstand the elements. The roof opens for easy cleaning of the inside of the dog house.
Should you get a plastic dog house or a wooden dog house?
Wooden dog houses are likely a better option if you plan to treat the wood, keep them outdoors and maintain them well over time. Not only do wooden dog houses come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but they will also look better than plastic houses kept outdoors and will be easier to mend if something breaks.
Stephanie Jarrett is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.