What are the best anorak jackets for fall?
Even in the warmer parts of the country, the fall brings some cooler temperatures. When a chill sets in, having a trusty anorak at the ready keeps you cozy.
Anoraks are available in tons of styles and different thicknesses, so you can pick one that suits the weather and temperature of all kinds of climates. They're perfect for a casual look or to throw on in a hurry if it gets chilly or starts to rain.
What makes a jacket an anorak?
Traditionally, anoraks were made from seal skin and worn by Inuit people while fishing or hunting. Technically, an anorak refers to a waterproof jacket without a front opening that must be pulled over the head. It has a hood and often drawstrings to tighten it at the waist.
As it became a popular fashion item, the definition of an anorak has broadened slightly. Many jackets now listed as anoraks do open at the front with a full zipper. The drawstring waist is a common feature, but not always found on the jacket. Most do still have hoods and are designed to be waterproof.
You can also find crossovers between anoraks and other traditional clothing items, such as parkas, including fur lining or trim.
Things to consider before buying an anorak jacket
- Style: Anoraks made for serious outdoor activities tend to be more limited in terms of style variation. But if you're looking for more of a fashion statement, go for an anorak jacket with stylish embroidery or with a lot of structure to give it shape.
- Color: The most common colors associated with anoraks are neutrals such as khaki or beige. But there's no reason to limit yourself with color; anorak jackets are available in bright colors, too.
- Length: Traditionally, anoraks are long jackets that sit either halfway down the thigh or go down to the knee. However, you can find ones with a slightly shorter length if that's your preference.
- Lining: For a super lightweight anorak, look for a polyester lining, preferably in a breathable fabric. But if the air is getting particularly chilly, you might want to pick one up that has a cozy fleece or faux fur lining.
- Pockets: There's nothing more useful in day-to-day, casual fashion than having plenty of pockets. Even if you need an anorak for outdoor activities such as hiking, having lots of zip pockets is handy for storing snacks or keeping items safe.
- Weather suitability: There's a big difference between the outerwear you need to keep a chill off your shoulders and something built to withstand a torrential downpour. Although traditional anoraks were built to be waterproof, that's not always the case with contemporary versions. If you need something waterproof, make sure you check the jacket's specifications to make sure it'll keep you dry.
- Extra features: Beyond style, you can also look for fun extra features. The rise of wearable tech means you can buy anoraks with heating technology, for example.
Best anorak jackets to buy
This sleek men's anorak is lightweight, comfortable to wear and machine-washable. The patented Columbia Heat Reflective material uses metallic dots in the anorak lining to retain heat while wicking sweat away from the skin.
This anorak has pockets and charm with its khaki safari coloring. Made of cotton, it has a drawstring closure and is machine-washable. The elastic waistband and lightweight design make it functional and fashionable.
For keeping off any wind chill or waterproofing yourself against light rain, this anorak is affordable and comfortable. Reviewers say the fabric is good-quality and the two-tone style comes in four colors.
This simple but stylish light safari design is colored to match the falling leaves. Made of polyester with a front zipper, it's fleece-lined for warmth. Perfectly matched with blue jeans and brown boots, it's loose on the shoulders and tight at the hips for optimal fit.
The vintage-inspired design and bold color of this half-zip anorak will make you stand out from the crowd. It's built for outdoor use to keep you warm and waterproof in even the most extreme winter conditions.
This Calvin Klein women's long-styled packable anorak jacket is made of polyester with two slash pockets and a front zip placket. A snap-flap means that this anorak is fashionable and functional. With a detachable hood, this jacket can also be restyled for use during the chilly mornings of spring.
This polyester anorak has a classic fit with enough room to accommodate underlayers for optimal warmth and comfort during the cold, damp months of fall. The North Face's WindWall technology helps block the elements, and the fixed hood and elastic cuffs make the jacket's inside nice and toasty during torrid patches of weather. It's designed for easy packing.
This anorak is made from strong and durable Gore-Tex fabric, made to shield you from wind and water while remaining breathable. It has a hood that can be adjusted to contour to your head, making it suitable to wear under a helmet.
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Lauren Farrell writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.