"All members of the Baltimore City Council co-sponsored this resolution," said Henry at Wednesday's meeting. "If we all sign onto it, it can't be that controversial." He went on to say that he recognized the proposal was already withdrawn, so "in a very basic but important way we already won." His hope was to use the meeting as an opportunity "to step back" and think these issues through.
Earlier in the afternoon, before the City Council meeting began, Gregory Thorton, CEO of Baltimore City Public Schools, sent a letter out to families and staff with a district update on the charter-school funding situation. While Thorton expressed a commitment to working with the charter coalition, he said that when the district had originally withdrawn its proposal, it did so under the impression that the charter operators would withdraw their lawsuits too. The district believed this would allow "discussions between us, to be facilitated by former Mayor Kurt Schmoke . . . held publicly, in a spirit of collaboration, and with open dialogue not constrained by pending legal action."
However, Will McKenna, executive director of Afya Baltimore Inc., an organization that governs charters, challenged the district's assertion in his testimony last night, saying that none of the charter litigants ever suggested they would drop their lawsuit. "It feels dishonest to have to hear that," he said.
Councilman Brandon Scott asked the district what evidence they had to suggest that charter operators ever intended to drop their lawsuit. As Dawana Sterrette, the district's legislative liaison, tried to formulate an answer, parents from the audience tittered. "Honesty is the best policy!" one hollered. "Transparency!" shouted another.
Finally, Sterrette answered that there was "an intermediary" between the school system and the charter representatives, who informed them that the charters would drop their lawsuit if the proposal were scrapped. Sterrette did not name names or provide more concrete details, which was unsatisfying to the crowd.