Murder Ink: 4/8/15

Baltimore reached its annual spring “violence spike” over the weekend. Three people were reported killed on Saturday, including the 29-year-old nephew of City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young. There was also a melee in which two women were stabbed and, earlier in the week, a drive-by shooting with five nonfatal victims. Police Commissioner Anthony Batts called a press conference Saturday to tell the city he was pushing back against the violence. Beat cops saw their shifts extended and, The Sun reported, Batts ordered a “tactical alert” on Saturday night which for two hours had cops responding only to “the most serious crimes.” Last year by this date there had been 47 murders.

Monday, March 30

6:25 p.m. Kemmontay Mitchell, a 27-year-old African-American man, was in the south alley behind the 2800 block of West North Avenue when someone shot him in the head. He died there. Police say Mitchell resided on the 1800 block of Warwick Avenue.
6:42 p.m. Jeremy Ward, a 26-year-old African-American man, was on the 1800 block of East Federal Street, less than five miles and less than 20 minutes from where Mitchell was shot, when someone shot him in the leg. He was taken to a hospital where he died. Ward resided a half-mile from where he was shot, on the 1700 block of Harford Avenue.

Saturday, April 4

1:15 a.m. Carla Harrison, a 36-year-old African-American woman, was stabbed during what police called a fight on the 2800 block of Edmondson Avenue. Police charged Michelle Johnson, a 22-year-old African-American woman, with the murder and other assault charges. Another woman, 30 years old, was stabbed in the leg during the incident and is expected to survive.
1:37 p.m. Steven Jackson, a 29-year-old African-American man, was shot in the head while on the 3200 block of Elmley Avenue in the Four by Four neighborhood. He died soon after. Baltimore City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young posted on his Facebook page that a “coward” had shot his nephew.
3:55 p.m. Jamar Green, a 28-year-old African-American man, was on the 100 block of North Pulaski Street when someone shot him multiple times. He died soon after at a hospital. Green resided on the 1500 block of West Fayette Street, according to police.