By now you're at home, spinning your favorite David Bowie records and wondering what the hell you're supposed to do now that the Thin White Duke has departed this Earth. You could do a lot worse than going to a few local music venues to listen and/or sing Bowie's music, and thankfully, those are actual options being put on the table.
- Karaoke Forever, held Tuesdays at The Crown, is turning into Bowie Forever on Jan. 12. Participants will undoubtedly sing songs by other artists, but there's sure to be plenty of Bowie. As there should be. There's no cover and singing kicks off at 9 p.m.
- Musician and Johns Hopkins professor Thomas Dolby, who played with Bowie at Live Aid in 1985 and again in 2000, and Center Stage artistic director Kwame Kwei-Armah are taking part in Impact Hub's opening speaker series on Jan. 13 from 6-8 p.m. Dolby tells The Sun's Wesley Case he will recount his Live Aid experience at the event.
- Put on your red shoes and dance the blues at "Let's Dance - tribute to David Bowie and '80s dance / club music." DJ Pancakes will be spinning in The Crown's Blue Room on Jan. 14 starting at 10 p.m. No cover.
- DJ James Nasty is playing a dance party with "David Bowie and Bowie Inspired Jams" at De Kleine Duivel on Jan. 18 beginning at 8:30 p.m. Admission is free.
- DJs Brian Gilbert and Jerrod Bronson are paying tribute to both Bowie and recently departed Motörhead bassist and singer Lemmy with the aptly named Lemmy Stardust. They'll be playing nothing but music from those two artists at the Ottobar on Jan. 17 from 9 p.m. to close.
- The bands Home, The Jennifers, Guided By Wire, and others to be announced will play B'more Bowie: We Can Be Heroes at the Creative Alliance on Jan. 17. Doors open at 7 p.m. and tickets cost $12 ($10 in advance), and audience members are encouraged to dress in their "Bowie best."
- The Crown will have two rooms of Bowie tributes on Jan. 28 as part of Goodnight Major Tom. The Blue Room will feature a candlelight vigil and screening of "Labyrinth," while the Red Room will hold a Bowie "costume and dance party" that includes a "Stardust Photobooth." Both start at 9 p.m.
- Karaoke: Planet Fabulous invites you to celebrate the life and times of Bowie and "toast to all that is intergalactic and sway to our favorite celestial tunes. TOGETHER." The karaoke night is taking place Jan. 29 at Lithuanian Hall starting at 9:30 p.m. Cover is $5 for members and guests, plus $5 annual membership fee if you haven't paid yet.
- Spend happy hour on Feb. 12 singing "whatever you want, as long as it's David Bowie, or something cool" at the Ottobar. And it's a long happy hour, running from 6-10 p.m.
Got an event that should be added to this list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.