Murders this Week: 5; Murders this Year: 189

A city police officer killed his ex-girlfriend, her new lover, and himself on Sunday in Anne Arundel County, marking the second time this year a Baltimore City cop committed murder during what police call a domestic incident. On Sunday, Oct. 27, Christopher Robinson, a Marine Corps veteran and off-duty city cop with four years on the force, went to the Glen Burnie home of Baltimore firefighter Andrew Hoffman and shot Hoffman and Marie Hartman, a 26-year-old mother of a 6-year-old boy, before shooting himself to death. Hartman's sister reportedly hid in a closet and heard the shots and screams.

In August, Officer James Smith committed suicide while in jail, facing charges of shooting his fiancae to death in front of fellow officers during a domestic disturbance in May. Kendra Diggs, 37, was standing outside her home next to police officers while Smith, a 20-year-veteran, had barricaded himself inside her home on the 1100 block of North Parrish Street. Smith reportedly shot her in the head from a second-story window.

After this weekend's incident, Baltimore police released a statement, which reads, in part: "Those left behind have suffered an immeasurable loss and will be in the collective thoughts and prayers of the members of the Baltimore Police Department. While the criminal investigation is conducted by the Anne Arundel County Police Department, this agency has begun an immediate review to see if there is more that can be done to help those returning to civilian life from military deployments. While at present there are no indications that a military deployment was the cause of this incident, this Department recognizes the tremendous sacrifice made by the men and women who serve in the military."

Friday, Oct. 18

Steven Wayne Pearson, a 57-year-old African-American man, died of injuries he received last Dec. 20. At 6:20 a.m. that day, police were called to a home on the 1600 block of McCulloh Street, where they found Pearson unresponsive on the first-floor hallway with no visible signs of trauma. He was hospitalized, where he remained until his death. An autopsy ruled the death a homicide by complications due to blunt-force trauma. Police are looking for witnesses.

Wednesday, Oct. 23

3:02 p.m. Durrell Gaskins, a 25-year-old African-American man, waded into a fight among about 30 students on the 4000 block of Belle Avenue and was stabbed to death. Northwestern District police found him near the corner of Garrison Boulevard, near Forest Park High School, and rushed him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:34 p.m. Gaskins' father, Durrant Gaskins, told The Sun that he saw his son fall and rushed to his aid: "I'm holding him. He looked up at me and said, 'Daddy, I don't think I'm going to make it.'" Durrell Gaskins had two children of his own.

Thursday, Oct. 24

6:15 p.m. Keith Holly Jr., a 24-year-old African-American man, was on the 1400 block of North Longwood Street in the Bridgeview/Greenlawn neighborhood when someone shot him in the abdomen. He was taken to a hospital, where he died at 7 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 25

8:00 p.m. Lance-Trenton Maurice Allen, a 21-year-old African-American man, was on the unit block of North Bentalou Street when someone shot him in the back. Western District police found him and got him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9 p.m. Allen lived a block up the street, in the Penrose/Fayette Street Outreach neighborhood.

Saturday, Oct. 26

6:36 p.m. Darrell Berry, a 36-year-old African-American man, was on the 2200 block of North Fulton Avenue when he was shot multiple times. Western District police responded, and Berry was sent to a hospital and pronounced dead a half-hour later.