• Baltimore City Paper

Murders this Week: 7; Murders this Year: 184

After a lull

in the murder rate, at least seven people were killed last week-not including a man killed by police, multiple traffic deaths, and two other deaths that remain undetermined. Police found a body floating in the water near Lancaster Street on Monday, Oct. 14. It was the second body found in the water in two weeks, a 58-year-old Caucasian man named Douglas Paige having been pulled from the water on Oct. 8. The Medical Examiner had not yet determined a cause of death in either case, though, and police said there was "no obvious signs of foul play." Also last week a Baltimore cop killed a man who was reportedly dragging him in a car on Mannasota Avenue. On Oct. 16 a Baltimore patrolman tried to do a traffic stop on Sean Dewayne Dean, a 40 year-old African-American man. As the police tell it, Dean drove away with the officer hanging on to the car door for two blocks. "He was determined not to cooperate," Police Commissioner Anthony Batts told the media later, allegedly because he had cocaine in the car, along with his 19-year-old daughter, who was not hit by any bullets. The cop shot Dean, who died. It was the sixth time police had shot a suspect to death this year.


Monday, Oct. 14

9:47 p.m.

Kennard James Bess, a 20-year-old African-American man, was on the 2600 block of East Chase Street when someone shot him in the chest. Eastern District police found him on the sidewalk, and medics pronounced him dead on the scene.

Tuesday, Oct. 15

11:08 p.m.

Kevin Talley, a 25-year-old African-American man, was near the intersection of Reisterstown Road and Violet Avenue in the Park Circle neighborhood when someone shot him in the head. Police found him on the sidewalk and sent him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead a half-hour later.

Thursday, Oct. 17

12:44 a.m.

Frank Harper, a 35-year-old African-American man, was at the Subway shop in the Citgo Station on the 5500 block of Reisterstown Road when he got into an altercation with a security guard, Tumaini Bakari. Police say the altercation continued outside the shop and that Bakari shot Harper in the stomach several times. Northwest District police found him lying face up in the parking lot and sent him to a hospital, where he died at 2:18


Police reviewed the security-camera footage and charged Bakari with first-degree murder.

Friday, Oct. 18

6:15 p.m.

Thomas Carter, a 22 year-old African-American man, was on the 2000 block of Orleans Street on the border between the Butchers Hill and Middle East neighborhoods. Another African-American man walked up and fired several shots, hitting Carter several times. Southeast District police and medics came and sent Carter to the hospital, where he died.

Saturday, Oct. 19


9:40 p.m.

Natafre Green, a 30-year-old African-American woman driving a Chrysler PT Cruiser on the 300 block of South Franklintown Road, was shot multiple times and crashed the car over a curb, stopping on a sidewalk in the Shipley Hill neighborhood. Southwest District police sent her to a hospital, where she died.

Sunday, Oct. 20

3:13 p.m.

Daryl Derell Fletcher, a 27-year-old African-American man, was shot multiple times on the 1800 block of West Lafayette Avenue. Western District police and medics sent the man to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

7:54 p.m.

Latreshia Danyel Gowdy, a 32-year-old African-American woman, was on the 4400 block of Fairview Avenue, in the West Forest Park neighborhood, when she was stabbed in the arm and abdomen. Northwestern District police responded and got her to a hospital, where she died. Police had a "person of interest" in custody as of Sunday but had not reported that they had charged the person as of Monday afternoon.


On Oct. 19, 2013, members of the Warrant Apprehension Task Force arrested Marvin Hutton for the murder of Ronn Williams, who was shot and killed in the 1500 Block of Upshire Road on Sept. 24. Hutton, 38, has a long record of arrests for drug crimes and assault. He was previously charged with murder-and convicted of manslaughter-in 1995. He was sentenced to three years in prison for that.