Murders this Week: 2; Murders this Year: 13

Baltimore City Police are investigating

a police-involved shooting involving Anne Arundel and Baltimore County officers that occurred in the city. At about 2


on Jan. 31, a Baltimore County officer attempted to stop a car. The car would not stop and ended up crashing at the juncture of I-95 and I-695. When an officer confronted the man in the car, the man told the officer he had a gun and would shoot the officer, according to Baltimore County Police. The man managed to steal the Baltimore County officer’s patrol car and drove it to a motel off Caton Avenue in Baltimore City. The police car was tracked to the hotel. As officers from Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel County approached the motel, an SUV attempted to flee the scene at high speed. The car was stopped and three of the four people in the car were removed. During the removal, the fourth person, a passenger in the car who police believe was the man who stole the police car, jumped into the driver’s seat and drove the SUV from the scene. The SUV eventually collided with a police car at a shopping center in the 3400 block of Annapolis Road in Cherry Hill. Anne Arundel and Baltimore County police officers shot at the man, hitting him. He died at a local hospital. Baltimore City Police has identified the man as Monpeet Chona, a 26-year-old man, who, according to

The Baltimore Sun

, is of Indian descent. No gun was found on Chona. No Baltimore City officers fired their weapons, but Baltimore City police are investigating the incident because it occurred in the city. Chona’s death is not being included in Baltimore City’s homicide or police-involved shooting numbers.

Wednesday, Feb. 1

8:15 p.m.

A person went to police headquarters and told police that someone had been shot inside a home in the 4300 block of Greenhill Avenue near Herring Run Park. Police went to the home and made a forced entry. Inside they found Norris Conley, a 25-year-old African-American man, shot twice. He was dead. Police believe the shooting occurred that morning. Two days later, Robert McLean, a 43-year-old African-American man, was arrested and charged with Conley’s murder.

10:03 p.m.

Two hours later, a 31-year-old man arrived at a local hospital with a gunshot wound to the head. While he was being treated, police got a call that there had been a shooting in the 5700 block of Nasco Place in the Loch Raven neighborhood. When they arrived, police discovered Corey Alexander, a 31-year-old African-American man, sitting in the passenger seat of a car in the block. He was dead. Alexander and the 31-year-old were in the car with Antomar Jones, a 19-year-old African-American man, when they began arguing with Jones. Jones, who was in the backseat behind the two men, allegedly shot each of them in the head and then got out of the car and left the scene. Jones was arrested on Feb. 3 and charged with the double shooting.


On Jan. 30, Tyrone Webb Jr., a 31-year-old African-American man, was convicted of murdering his girlfriend, Mia Nichols, a 37-year-old African-American woman. Two hunters found the partially dressed skeletal remains of Nichols on Sept. 26, 2009, in a wooded area in Baltimore County. She was identified through dental records. Two bullet holes were found in her skull. Webb had reported Nichols missing nearly a year earlier. Webb was initially tried in Baltimore County, leading to a hung jury. An informant then came forward and told Baltimore County prosecutors that Nichols was actually shot in the Baltimore City apartment she shared with Webb. The case was then transferred to Baltimore City, though according to Murder Ink records, Nichols’ death has not been added to the city’s homicide numbers.

Four alleged members of a Baltimore street gang called “the Block” were federally indicted on Jan. 25 on charges including the murder of Cherrie Gammon, a 25-year-old Caucasian woman. On Nov. 25, 2010, Monica McCants, a 41-year-old African-American woman, allegedly told Donte Baker, a 21-year-old African-American man and McCants’ son, to assault Gammon in order to make sure she gave them money from selling drugs. Baker; Tyrone Johniken, a 29-year-old African-American man; and Gary Cromartie, a 23-year-old African-American man, allegedly took Gammon to Leon Day Park near Gwynns Falls Park on Dec. 12, 2010, and shot her to death.