Murders this Week: 3; Murders this Year: 9

The name of the last homicide victim of 2011

has finally been released. Tiyon Campbell, a 31-year-old African-American man, was shot in the face by two masked men who forced their way into his home in the 2800 block of West Garrison Avenue on Dec. 28 and tried to rob him.


The death of Audrey Collins, a 67-year-old African-American woman, was added to the homicide rolls this week. On May 5, 2011, police were called to the 3800 block of Cottage Avenue in the Greenspring neighborhood for a fire. When they arrived they found Genesis Collins, a 41-year-old African-American man, outside suffering from burns to his body. His mother, Audrey Collins, was discovered inside the home. She too had been burned in the fire. Both were taken to an area hospital. Genesis Collins survived. His mother died Sept. 1, 2011. Her death was ruled a homicide due to complications from thermal burns on Jan. 12. On May 10, 2011, Genesis Collins was arrested for attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, malicious burning, and other charges. Collins allegedly set the fire that caused his mother’s death. As of press time, his charges had not been upgraded to murder. Murders of family members occur several times a year in Baltimore City. In 2011, two women and one man were murdered by their grandsons.

Wednesday, Jan. 18

9:58 p.m.

James Rice, an 18-year-old African-American man, was found lying in the grass in the 4300 block of Cedar Garden Road in Southwest Baltimore. He had been shot in the back of the head and was dead. Rice is the first teenager murdered this year.

Friday, Jan. 20

6:56 p.m.

Dominic Hope, a 32-year-old African-American man, and a 37-year-old African-American man were in a barbershop in the 1600 block of West Baltimore Street in Franklin Square. Two people entered the store and started shooting. Hope was hit twice in the back and once in the head. He was taken to a hospital where he died at 7:26


The 37-year-old was also shot in the head. Someone drove him to an area hospital, where he is in stable condition. According to WBAL-TV, the shooters wore masks.


Gale Roland, a 53-year-old African-American woman, pleaded guilty to manslaughter on Dec. 22, 2011, for the death of Micha Crane, a 10-month-old African-American girl. Roland shook Crane on Sept. 8, 2010, causing her death from a brain hemorrhage. Roland, who was not Micha’s mother, was sentenced on Jan. 12 to two years of home detention according to

The Baltimore Sun


Three members of the Black Guerrilla Family gang were sentenced for murdering Qonta Waddell, a 24-year-old African-American man. Waddell was abducted from outside his grandfather’s apartment on April 21, 2009. After stealing money from Waddell’s grandfather’s apartment, the abductors took Waddell to his mother’s apartment. When Waddell was unable to get more money, he was dragged from his mother’s home and then shot five times. Peter Miller, a 20-year-old African-American man who had just turned 18 at the time of the murder and was the actual shooter, was convicted of murder and other charges on Nov. 16, 2011, and was sentenced to life plus 60 years on Jan. 18. Derrell Johnson, a 30-year-old African-American man, was also convicted of murder, kidnapping, robbery, and related charges on Nov. 16, 2011, and was sentenced to life plus 30 years on Jan. 18. William Rhodes, a 23-year-old African-American man, was convicted of the same charges on Nov. 16, 2011, and was sentenced to life plus 65 years in prison on Jan. 17.

Russell Carrington, a 30-year-old African-American man, was arrested on Jan. 19 for the murder of Antoinne Pratt, a 23-year-old African-American man. Pratt was shot repeatedly in the 1700 block of Harford Road on Oct. 17, 2011. He tried to drive away and hit a construction barrier four blocks away.

Also on Jan. 19, Robert Harris, a 39-year-old Caucasian man, was sentenced to life in prison for his involvement in the murder of his fiancee Teresa McLeod. Harris paid Russell Brill $20,000 to kill McLeod. Harris took his fiancee for a walk in Violetville Park on Jan. 26, 1996. Brill pretended to rob them and shot and killed McLeod. Harris wanted McLeod dead so he could get money from an insurance policy on her. Brill pleaded guilty to murder in 1997 and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Harris was also convicted in 1997 and sentenced to life in prison, but the conviction was overturned in 2009. He was convicted of first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, solicitation to commit murder, and use of a handgun in a crime of violence on Jan. 19.