Though the snow and the rain seem to say otherwise, spring is right around the corner. With spring come signs of the next holiday, Easter.
Mt. Zion United Methodist Church in Upperco is hosting its annual Easter Eggs and Candy Sale.
The annual fundraising event has evolved from offering hand-made Easter treats to fellow church members and friends only, to an area-wide sale to all for the past three years.
“What’s changing this year is the expansion of the preorder option (much longer) and the reduction of the Browse & Shop option (much shorter),” according to a news release from the church.
“The success of this fundraiser has shown us that we do have limits, after all!” said co-chief chocolatiers Carol Brown and Bev Meredith. “We’ll still have our usual wide selection of cream eggs, bunnies, clusters and lollipops, in your choice of dark, milk, or white chocolate.”
Preorders began March 3 and will continue through March 31. Sample order sheets and candy photos are available through March at Farmers & Merchants Bank in the Roberts Field Shopping Center in Hampstead.
The schedule for pre-order pick up is from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 6, and from noon to 2 p.m. Sunday, April 7, in the activities room of Mt. Zion UMC Church, 3800 Black Rock Road, Upperco.
For more information, or to preorder, call 410-374-6026.
Learn about NC Colts
As mentioned in last week’s column, the Hampstead Ravens organization and North Carroll Titans programs merged to form the North Carroll Colts football program.
If you’re interested in meeting the newly assembled board and learning some information for the upcoming season, you can join them for a meeting from 7 to 8:30 p.m. March 18 at the North Carroll Senior Center.
There will be time for questions and concerns to be addressed, as well as an area for registration.
The NCSC is located at 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead.
Benefit event for Upperco VFC
A Bull & Oyster Roast will be held from 4 to 9 p.m. Saturday, March 23, at the Arcadia Activities Building.
The cost is $45 in advance, or $50 at the door; and all those attending must be 21 years old or older. The menu consists of all you can eat/drink pit beef, and oysters served raw, fried, steamed and in stew; as well as beer, soda, coffee, and tea.
Live music by local band Half Serious will be played as well. The activities building is located at 5415 Arcadia Ave., Upperco.
For information or tickets, call Jen at 443-865-4695 or Michele at 410-458-7292.
The North Carroll Senior Center is hosting a trip May 16 to the American Music Theatre. They will see “Ovation” and have lunch at Shady Maple Smorgasbord as well. The bus will leave the center at 9:45 a.m. and return at 7 p.m.
The cost is $70 per person and those interested can start calling to make reservations as of March 18. For information, or to register, call Mary and Cliff Patterson at 410-386-3900.
- Crab Leg & Shrimp Feed: March 9, doors open 5 p.m., dinner 5-7 p.m., dance until 11 p.m., Manchester VFD, 3297 York St., Manchester. Information/tickets: 410-984-1404.
- Drawing & Dinner: March 16, doors 4 p.m., dinner 5 p.m., Hampstead Volunteer Fire Company, 1341 N. Main St., Hampstead. $35/person; $10/guest. Information/tickets: SportsmanDrawingHVFD@gmail.com.
- 3rd Annual Hampstead-Manchester Business Expo: March 16, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Manchester Valley High School, 3300 Maple Grove Road. More than 50 vendors; snow date April 6. Information: Tom Rhoads, email@example.com.
- Fundraiser for Hotshots: March 19, Greenmount Station, 1631 N. Main St, #4, Hampstead. Present flier; 15% of sales benefits scholarship in honor of Makenzee George. Dine-in or carryout, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. Information/flier: Jennifer Lettau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Taste of Spring: March 21, 5-8 p.m., Crossroads Community Church, 1041 S. Carroll St., Hampstead. Benefits NESAP. Tickets: 2/$25; $15 each. Purchase at NESAP, Towne Pride, or Matthew’s Tire, all in Hampstead. Information: call 410-374-9099 or email@example.com.
Shiela Johnson covers Hampstead, Manchester, Lineboro, and neighboring communities in northern Carroll County. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-412-6787.