Podcasts are an entertaining and efficient way to soak up advice and commentary from top voices in any area. Whether you’re an entrepreneur, a middle manager or someone focused on self-improvement, podcasts allow you to learn something new while you work out, commute or tackle everyday tasks.
With 2018 right around the corner, it’s an ideal time to take stock of where you are professionally and financially. Podcasts in the finance niche can help you evaluate your old goals and reach for greater heights.
As a personal finance geek, I’m obsessed with good financial content that’s both informative and enjoyable. Here are some of the top money podcasts to watch in 2018 according to my research, awards received at conferences like FinCon and the Podcast Movement, and iTunes reviews.
1. Stacking Benjamins: Stacking Benjamins is an award-winning podcast that focuses on helping others build wealth. Hosted by Joe Saul-Sehy and characters known as the Other Guy and crazy Neighbor Doug, this podcast offers financial education sometimes disguised as comedy — all from Saul-Sehy’s mom’s basement. I love listening to Stacking Benjamins for informative and entertaining interviews on various financial topics, including investing and creating multiple income streams.
2. So Money: Inc.com has written about So Money before, and for good reason. Farnoosh Torabi’s ability to bring in top names in entrepreneurship and business has made So Money a must-listen podcast for anyone striving to take his or her business to the next level. I’ve especially enjoyed the interviews she’s done with entrepreneurs and thought leaders, like Simon Sinek, who have been very candid about their experiences with money.
3. The Tim Ferriss Show: Awarded as one of the top podcasts on iTunes for several years running, The Tim Ferriss Show boasts 200 million downloads and 3,000-plus five-star reviews. What I love about Ferriss’s show is you feel like a fly on the wall listening to some of the greatest minds (think Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tony Robbins, Vince Vaughn) sharing some of their most amazing insights on business, productivity and life hacks.
4. Side Hustle Nation: Side Hustle Nation has become the podcast for people who want to create multiple income streams with their own side business. Every time I tune in, I learn new tips for my own hustle as well as exciting new business strategies from successful entrepreneurs, like Facebook employee No. 30, Noah Kagan, who was interviewed on the show.
5. Radical Personal Finance: Financial adviser Joshua J. Sheats uses his podcast, Radical Personal Finance, to take you on a journey toward financial health. Through storytelling and interviews, Sheats helps listeners work on their financial issues and build wealth with proven strategies and tools. I love Sheats’s straightforward tone and super analytical approach to evaluating investment strategies.
6. Smart Passive Income: Entrepreneur Pat Flynn teaches us the ins and outs of earning truly passive income on his podcast, aptly named Smart Passive Income. I’ve listened to Flynn (who frequently earns more than $100,000 per month) for years to learn all about setting up hands-off businesses and creating a lifestyle you’ll love. His blogging case studies were the impetus behind my decision to launch a new website, which ended up generating more than six figures in less than nine months.
7. Girlboss Radio: In this podcast, American businesswoman and rock star Sophia Amoruso dives deeply into the world of entrepreneurship and what it means to be a woman in charge. Not just for girls or women, Girlboss Radiocan can help any listener become wiser and savvier and define what success means for her or him. Guests range from Silicon Valley CEOs to A-list actresses and business owners like Gwyneth Paltrow.
8. Money for the Rest of Us: Money for the Rest of Us offers a safe place for people seeking financial freedom on their own terms. Financial expert and host David Stein walks listeners through the process of saving enough for retirement without outside help. I love Stein’s approach to helping his listeners improve their “retirement IQ” by his emphatic lessons on wealth building and investing.
9. Afford Anything: Real estate investor, blogger and influencer Paula Pant says you can afford anything, just not everything. Through her award-winning Afford Anything podcast, Pant introduces listeners to new ways to build passive income and a better life that is not only fruitful but also free from stress and the shackles of a 9-to-5 gig. I listen to Pant to hear her unique insights on authenticity and choosing a business that gives you freedom and purpose.
10. Listen Money Matters: Listen Money Matters promises to help anyone “free their inner financial badass” through interviews with the top minds in personal finance. Personally, I love soaking up uncensored commentary from the show’s hosts, Andrew Fiebert and Thomas Frank. This isn’t your father’s boring money show, but you can learn to manage money better than your parents ever did by tuning in.
Jeff Rose is a financial planner, writer and speaker.