Under Armour founder and CEO Kevin Plank will step back from his role of president in a series of management changes announced Tuesday.
Under Armour on Tuesday announced that veteran apparel executive Patrik Frisk has been named the Baltimore-based sports apparel and footwear brand's new president.
The announcement came in a series of executive-level changes for the company as it attempts to improve digital business and its operational efficiency. Frisk replaces Kevin Plank as president, though the company founder remains the company's CEO and board chairman.
Frisk is slated to join the company as president and Chief Operating Officer on July 10.
Here are a few things to know about Frisk:
1. Frisk has nearly 30 years' experience in the apparel, footwear and retail industry, directing brands such as The North Face and Timberland. He most recently served as CEO of global footwear company The Aldo Group.
"Patrik's global experience in brand building, including a proven and disciplined record of driving growth, while enhancing profitability and efficiency, will be instrumental as we work to transform our business model to deliver long-term value for our consumers, customers and shareholder," Plank said in the announcement.
2. Before his time with Aldo, he spent 10 years with VF Corp., where he was coalition president of outdoor Americas with responsibility for The North Face, Timberland, JanSport, lucy and SmartWool brands. He was formerly president of the Timberland brand and before that, president of outdoor and action sports and responsible for The North Face, Vans, JanSport and Reef brands.
3. He previously ran his own retail business in Scandinavia and held senior positions with Peak Performance and W.L. Gore & Associates.
Other roles included vice president and general manager of The North Face.
4. Frisk will report to Plank, who will remain chairman and CEO, and be responsible for go-to-market strategy and executing the company's long-term growth plan. Plank had been president since 2010, a role he also held from 2006 to 2008, according to his profile on the company website.
5. A number of executives will report to Frisk, including Charlie Maurath, chief revenue officer; Kevin Eskridge, chief product officer; Andy Donkin, chief marketing Officer; Colin Browne, chief supply chain officer, and Kevin Haley, president of strategy.
"The opportunity to leverage our strengths — innovative product, brand strength, premium sports marketing assets and unparalleled consumer connections — within an increasingly more digital ecosystem has never been greater," he said.