THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Garage burned in Havre de Grace fire

A fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the attached garage of a house in the 200 block of Canvasback Drive in Havre de Grace Wednesday evening, according to fire officials.

The cause of the fire was attributed to a portable generator in the garage, said Scotty Hurst, chief of the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace, said.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal is investigating the fire.

Hurst noted the house did not have power, and that Harford County officials issued an alert Wednesday regarding the potential for more power outages as winds picked up Wednesday night.

The county had been plagued all day with outages from morning ice storms,

"People definitely need to be real careful with portable generators," Hurst said.

Hurst said EMS workers examined two women who live at the property and fled across the street when the fire broke out. The house is in the city's Grace Harbor neighborhood.

"They were just checked out, and they did not have any injuries or require any transporting [to the hospital]," he explained.

The fire caused extensive damage to the garage and the two vehicles in it, but little damage to the interior of the house, Hurst said.

Firefighters were alerted at 8:27 p.m. and the fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes, according to the chief.

Firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company were first on the scene. Members of the Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Department, the Level Volunteer Fire Company and the Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps provided assistance.

Hurst said 70 firefighters were on the scene.

The fire chief stressed that residents should use portable generators carefully and to keep them outside to avoid a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad