State hoops: Towson men roll past Bethune-Cookman, 63-42

Junior guard Four McGlynn made all eight of his free throws and scored 10 points as Towson (3-1) rolled to a 63-42 victory over Bethune-Cookman (1-3) in a CBE Hall of Fame Classic game Saturday in West Long Beach, N.J.

Towson's success at the free-throw line made the difference. The Tigers shot 28-for-38 from the line (74 percent), which helped offset only 16 baskets.


McGlynn was one of three Tigers to score 10 points. Freshman forward Eddie Keith II made eight of 10 from the free-throw line en route to his 10 points.

Sophomore forward John Davis made four of five from the line and also ended up with 10 points.


Free throws had been a problem for Towson in its previous two games, when the Tigers had shot a combined 30-for-50.

Towson led 24-16 at halftime and took command from there.

Minnesota 69, UMBC 51: Maurice Walker had 15 points as the Golden Gophers outlasted the Retrievers at home.

Walker made seven of 11 from the field and Andre Hollins supplied 12 points and three 3-pointers for Minnesota (3-1), which has won three straight since opening the season with a loss to No. 8 Louisville. Carlos Morris contributed nine points and Nate Mason added eight.

Wayne Sparrow had 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting and Aaron Morgan came up with 14 points and made three 3-pointers for the Retrievers (0-3). Cody Joyce added eight points.

The Retrievers proved right from the outset that they belonged in the game after five straight points from Sparrow gave them a 13-9 lead with nearly six minutes elapsed. Hollins and Mason each hit a 3-pointer to put Minnesota back in front 24-18 with 7:40 left and the Gophers maintained a slim 32-26 advantage into halftime.

The Gophers began to distance themselves from the Retrievers in the second half, leading by 10 on a couple occasions in the early going before stretching it to 13 on two free throws each by Morris and DeAndre Mathieu. Hollins all but sealed the win with a 3-pointer that put the Gophers up 60-42 with 5:57 left.

Butler 80, Loyola Maryland 39: Kelan Martin scored 23 points off the bench to lead the Bulldogs (3-0) to their 16th consecutive nonconference victory, a blowout win over the Greyhounds (2-2).

Junior guard Eric Laster scored 24 of Loyola's points, while Franz Rassman had 10 points and 10 rebounds. The Greyhounds had won two straight.

Kellen Dunham scored 13 points and Roosevelt Jones contributed 10 points, six assists and four steals for Butler, which has won its first three games by an average of 35 points. The Bulldogs shot 53.6 percent from the field and were 9-of-16 from 3-point range.

Loyola scored the game's first five points and was up by one as late as eight minutes into the contest when Butler reeled off a 20-1 run to take control. Martin scored 11 points during the decisive stretch, while Loyola went 0-for-4 from the field and committed three turnovers during the spurt.

Laster hit back-to-back shots to stop the bleeding, but the Bulldogs closed the half with a 13-2 run to lead 42-18 at the break and Loyola never recovered. The closest the Greyhounds got after the break was 21, and any hope of a comeback was crushed when they were held scoreless over the six-minute span in which Butler rattled off a 17-0 run to extend the lead to 73-30.

Houston 72, Morgan State 57: Junior forward Devonta Pollard and junior guard Cavon Baker both posted double doubles, leading the Cougars over the visiting Bears.

Pollard had 19 points and 13 rebounds for Houston (2-0). Baker had 12 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore forward Danrad Knowles and junior guard Eric Weary Jr. added 11 points apiece for the Cougars, who shot just 32.9 percent from the field but amassed a huge 60-38 rebounding advantage.

Senior guard Blake Bozeman scored 18 points to lead Morgan State (0-4). Junior guard Donte Pretlow scored 10 points for the Bears, who were held to 33.3 percent shooting.

Morgan State trailed 18-14 after junior guard Rasean Simpson made a layup with 8:26 remaining in the opening period, but Houston outscored the Bears 10-3 over the next four minutes to take a 28-17 lead on a 3-pointer by Weary. The Bears briefly cut the deficit to five on a 3-pointer by Bozeman, but the Cougars mounted another run to take a 41-28 lead into the break.

Bozeman made another 3-pointer to trim Houston's lead to seven with 14:15 remaining, but the Cougars pulled away again, extending their lead to as many as 22 points late in the second half.

Northeastern 68, Navy 44: The Huskies used a 10-0 run late in the first half to break open a close game and advance to the final of the Springfield Bracket of the Hall of Fame Tip-off in Uncasville, Conn.

Northeastern (3-0) will play Manhattan at 8 tonight at the Mohegan Sun Arena. The Midshipmen (0-4) will play Binghamton in the consolation game at 5:30.

Senior forward Scott Eatherton led all scorers with 19 points, including 15 in the opening half. He scored 7 of Northeastern's 10 points during a three-minute run just before halftime that gave the Huskies a 30-20 lead.

Navy scored the final three points of the half to trail by seven at the break. The Midshipmen didn't attempt a free throw in the first half.

While the Huskies needed almost 16 minutes to gain a cushion in the first half, they broke open the game in the first nine minutes after the break.

Junior guard Quincy Ford buried a 3-pointer at the 11:22 mark to give Northeastern a 50-31 advantage. The Midshipmen never threatened the rest of the game.

Senior guard Brandon Venturini led Navy with nine points.

Sophomore guard T.J. Williams added 11 points for the Huskies, who held a 38-16 rebounding advantage.

Mount St. Mary's 73, Bucknell 69: Gregory Graves and Kristijan Krajina each scored 16 points as the Mount (1-2) defeated the host Bison (1-3).

The Mount St. Mary's defense held strong late in the game, with Byron Ashe collecting a tough rebound after a Dom Hoffman missed jumper with 35 seconds on the clock. Ashe shot 1-for-2 from the line to give the Mount a 70-68 lead.

Bucknell's D.J. MacLeay was fouled with 16 seconds left with a chance to tie the game, but he made only one free throw, and Mount St. Mary's Taylor Danaher grabbed the rebound with 14.4 seconds remaining.

Saint Francis (Pa.) 57, UMES 53: Guard Greg Brown made a driving, tie-breaking three-point play with 47 seconds left as the Red Flash (2-2) went on to defeat the visiting Hawks (1-4).

Saint Francis forward Earl Brown scored 14 of his 19 points in the second half and had 10 rebounds. Guard Malik Harmon wrapped it up with a pair of free throws with 2.8 seconds left as the Red Flash won its second straight game.

Forward Mike Myers scored 10 points to lead UMES.


UMES never led, but guard Isaac Smith made it interesting, tying the game at 51 with a 3-pointer with 2:15 left.


Smith had a chance to put the Hawks ahead with five seconds left, but his 3-point attempt rimmed out.


Marshall 74, UMES 57: Leah Scott scored 23 points and Norrisha Victrum hit five 3-pointers to lead the Thundering Herd (3-0) over the visiting Hawks (0-4).

Penn 60, Navy 51: Keiera Ray scored a game-high 22 points to lead the visiting Quakers (2-1) over the Mids (1-3).

Recommended on Baltimore Sun