Baltimore Sun

Woman fatally stabbed, man dies in morning shooting

Painted along the top of a door frame of a defunct church in North Baltimore’s Remington community are the words “When I see the blood…” It’s the beginning of a Biblical quotation that ends, “The plague of death will not touch you.”

Neighbors stood in front of that building Tuesday afternoon looking upon a crime scene where police say the body of a woman who had been fatally stabbed was discovered by her relatives. The killing was one of at least two investigated by police yesterday.

"This is just terrible," said Dianne Fisher, 46, of the people gathered near the crime scene. "That girl didn't bother no one."


Detective Jeremy Silbert, a police spokesman, said the woman was found at about 4:30 p.m. in her home in the 2600 block of Huntingdon Ave. At the scene, an officer carried a young girl out of the home and handed her off to a relative. Few other details were available.

Homicide detectives had earlier been dispatched to two shootings. The first came out at 8:30 a.m., in the 1000 block of Edmondson Ave. in the Harlem Park neighborhood. Police said Gregory Davenport, 27, who lived in the block, was killed, but did not have further information about the circumstances.


Davenport was arrested in December on multiple handgun charges, held on no bail, and released in late January when the charges were dropped by prosecutors.

Since 2005, he had been acquitted of first-degree murder charges in connection with a Baltimore County home invasion in 2009, with prosecutors citing insufficient evidence; was charged with first-degree murder in Baltimore in 2008 until that case was dropped; and had attempted first-degree murder and handgun charges dropped in the city in 2006.

Police were also investigating the afternoon shooting of a man in the parking lot of a Northeast Baltimore shopping center. Around 2:30 p.m., police said officers were called to the 5400 block of Sinclair Road, at the Frankford Gardens Shopping Center, where they found a man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

He was taken to a local hospital, where his condition was unknown, police said.