Each morning, Monday through Thursday (and sometimes Friday, schedule permitting), I'll hook you up with some reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Maryland's new football coach Randy Edsall was introduced Monday, and he said coaching the Terps is a "dream come true." Meanwhile, Mike Leach isn't sure why he didn't get the job. ... The Ravens are clearly struggling on offense, but coach John Harbaugh said the offense is "really close" to being good. ... Harbaugh said he expects Ed Reed to play against the Chiefs. ... Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon surrendered to police Monday, saying that the shooting was accidental. ... The Orioles expect a decision from free-agent reliever Kevin Gregg in the next couple of days.
Hitting the links:
1. The Ravens feel good about their postseason chances, even if you don't [Ravens.com]
2. ESPN's John Clayton breaks down the wild-card round, including Ravens-Chiefs [ESPN]
3. Jason Whitlock: Chiefs coach Todd Haley is a fraud [FOX Sports]
4. Baltimore's receivers have been forced to check their egos at the door [Yahoo!]
5. The Chiefs had been prepping for the Jets, but now they must shift focus to the Ravens [ESPN]
6. Kansas City RB Jamal Charles came oh-so close to an impressive record [Shutdown Corner]
7. The Chiefs face an uphill battle against the Ravens [SI]
8. Peter Schmuck: The Ravens might say avoiding the Colts doesn't matter, but … [Baltimore Sun]
9. More Schmuck: Like it or not, Kevin Anderson's decision was quick, clear-cut [Baltimore Sun]
10. Kevin Cowherd: The hiring of Randy Edsall seriously lacks excitement [Baltimore Sun]
11. Matt Hobgood left his fastball in high school ... or did he? [Dempsey's Army]
12. The importance of mediocrity [Camden Chat]
13. Alex Ovechkin on Sidney Crosby: "He's not my friend" [D.C. Sports Bog]
You said it:
"Count me as one of the few Terps fans that thinks this is a fantastic hire. I dreaded the prospect of Mike Leach becoming the new coach. Fan's need to stop looking at his overall record at UConn and get a little perspective. UConn transitioned from 1-AA to the Big East just 10 years or so ago. For the first four or five years they were doormats to the rest of the Big East as he built the program up to not just a Div 1 level, but a BCS level team. Frankly, its amazing his record is above .500 given the hurdles he has had to leap while in Storr's" -- Sean likes the Edsall hire
Today's water cooler question (your response could be published in b):
What are your expectations for Randy Edsall's first season in College Park?
Video of the morning:
ESPN's Adam Schefter and Hannah Storm are a little excited that Eric Mangini got fired