Gift Guide: Fitness, outdoors, chef and beer lover
By b staff
Nov 24, 2010 | 10:19 AM
FOR THE FITNESS GURU (LUKE BROADWATER, B)
1. Nike DRI-fit Switchback Running Shorts $20, nike.com The most comfortable running shorts I've tried.
2. Kettlebell (right) $10-$140, sportsauthority.com It's so much more than just a weight with a handle.
3. Xfit Rings $29.95, xfirings.com Cheap and essential, a pair of rings for dips, supine rows, and muscle-ups will boost your workout.
4. INOV-8 F-LITE 230 Running Shoe $95, zappos.com Say goodbye to pain-filled knees from heel strikes with this light, stylish shoe that keeps you on the balls of your feet.
5. SPLURGE: Crossfit Classes Prices vary by location, crossfit.com Give the fitness buff in your life the gift of real, functional fitness, not just your traditional gym membership.
FOR THE OUTDOORS LOVER (LUKE BROADWATER, B)
1. KED Maglite Flashlight $30, maglitesales.com Reliable and sturdy, perfect for the outdoors.
2. Stanley Thermos $30, shopstanley-pmi.com A good hiker needs a good thermos. This one's hard to beat.
3. Humvee Ruby Lens Rubber Armored Telescope $30, amazon.com What good is an adventure into the wilderness without some bird-watching and stargazing?
4. A Case Pocket Knife Starting at $35, Bass Pro Shop, Arundel Mills Mall, 7000 Arundel Mills, Hanover So many cool designs to pick from, including Elvis and Freemasons' knives. Personally, I like the trapper.
5. SPLURGE: Red Wing Boots (left) $170, Red Wing Shoe Store, 1413 Merritt Blvd., Dundalk Every true hiker needs a really good pair of boots.
FOR THE CHEF/BAKER (DANIELLE KEES, B)
1. Customized Spice Rack (Set of 12, 4-oz. Jars) $78, Gneiss Spice Etsy Shop, etsy.com/shop/GneissSpice Trying to find a specific spice in a crowded cabinet is a pain. That's why this spice rack is so awesome. These jars are magnetic and can stick to the fridge!
2. "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" From $15.95, amazon.com No dairy, no problem. This book contains 75 cupcake recipes that will make any vegan (or non-vegan) say "yum."
3. Kid's Apron & Baking Set $24.95, Discovery Store, store.discovery.com For the budding baker, this apron and baking set is a must-have. Start the little chef cooking right away with a recipe that is included with the set.
4. Pasta Chitarra $40, surlatable.com Who really needs a pasta maker? Everyone. This chitarra from Sur La Table is double-sided and can cut fettuccine and angel hair pasta.
5. 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set $38, William Sonoma, william-sonoma.com In the kitchen, you can never have enough bowls for prepping and mixing. This set from William Sonoma offers 10 bowls in various sizes that are sturdy and easy to store.
FOR THE BEER LOVER (LUKE BROADWATER, B)
1. SPLURGE: Beer of the Month Club $33.95 per month, amazingclubs.com For a very good friend only.
2. Resurrection Ale $9.99 six-pack, The Brewer's Art, 1106 N. Charles Street Always a favorite.
3. Beeradvocate Magazine $16.99. beeradvocate.com What to give the beer lover who's tried everything? This magazine will introduce your friend to taste buds not yet discovered.
4. Clipper City's Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (left) $8.99 six-pack, area liquor stores A Baltimore beer that's won international awards and packs a punch.
5. Saranac Black Forest $7.99 six-pack, area liquor stores This was on tap at Moonshawdow Tavern in Ithaca, N.Y., when I was in college, and it was love at first sip.