Former Ravens defensive coordinator and current New York Jets coach Rex Ryan just participated in a conference call with Baltimore media, and here are a few thoughts he shared.
1.Ryan chuckled when informed that Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis had sounded off when asked about the Jets Thursday. It seems that Lewis was angered by the fact that Ryan took a shot at him in the most recent episode of "Hard Knocks." Responded Ryan: "Sounds like we might have gotten on Ray's nerves. … We're not here to sneak up on anybody."
2. Ryan expressed his gratitude towards Ravens coach John Harbaugh for naming Ryan assistant head coach in 2008, but Ryan said that wouldn't water down his feelings about Monday night's season opener. "I had 10 great years there, but I don't care who's across the field. … I still want to win," he said.
3. Ryan has expressed his disappointment in being passed over for Harbaugh when the Ravens parted ways with Brian Billick after the 2007 season. But Ryan said he doesn't hold a grudge. "It really doesn't bother me because this is where I want to be," he said.
4. Like his linebacker, Bart Scott, Ryan didn't mince words about his desire to help the Jets win the Super Bowl this season. "Not everybody says is because not everybody has the guts to say it," he said. "… At the end of the day, we believe in our team."
5. Ryan said opening the season with a victory over the Ravens would be significant. "It's a huge game for us," he said. "No ifs, ands or buts about it. … This would be a big win for us."
6. In a moment of jocularity, Ryan said cornerback Darrelle Revis, who sat out training camp in a contract dispute, looks rusty. "I think he looks terrible," Ryan said. "Throw a lot of balls over there."
Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by The Baltimore Sun. The Sun Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.