After a rollercoaster run in his first three months as Orioles closer, Alfredo Simon -- or "Shutdown Sauce" as those wacky Twitter kids call him -- has cooled off over the past three weeks.

It is always an adventure when Simon gets the call from the Orioles bullpen -- load 'em up, then shut 'em down -- but I bet the fans had a lot more tolerance for the Sauce-induced heartburn and anxiety attacks when he closed out 15 of his first 17 save opportunities.

Advertisement

But since July 27, Simon has allowed 11 runs in his last 10 appearances, blowing two out of five save chances and almost getting the loss in Monday night's thriller against the Mariners (he was bailed out by Julio Lugo's based-loaded walk in the bottom of the 10th).

Orioles manager Buck Showalter told The Baltimore Sun last week that Simon's job was far from secure.

"I'm sure Simon will get some more opportunities along the way, but I feel like we have some other people capable of doing it other than him," Showalter said. "We'll see what each night dictates."

Waiting in the wings is former closer Michael Gonzalez, who has allowed just one run in his last nine innings of work. The fans may not yet have confidence in him after his disastrous first week with the Orioles. But as long as Showalter does, that's all that matters. Plus, with that contract, it's only a matter of time until Gonzo gets his chance to be the closer again.

With all that in mind, will we soon be saying "sayonara" to Shutdown Sauce?

The ninth inning just won't be as entertaining without him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement