I dug a few leftover nuggets -- no, not the Buck Showalter kind -- out of my brain since this post from earlier about what I would be watching for at tonight's Ravens-Panthers preseason game.
Here are a few more random thoughts before kickoff:
1. Oniel Cousins gets the start at right tackle tonight with Jared Gaither still battling cramps (yeah, that makes me laugh every time, too). Cousins struggled when pressed into the starting lineup last year. But if he shows the Ravens that he can be relied upon, Gaither might become expendable should the Ravens try to make a deal to acquire a cornerback.
2. Shayne Graham and Billy Cundiff will alternate kicks, which is a smart move by special teams coordinator Jerry Rosburg. This way both guys will have to stay sharp, and it will ensure they get equal opportunities. This is a legit kicking battle, unlike the one last year between Steve "Dont Call Me Michael Cera" Hauschka and Graham Gano. It will go down to the final preseason game.
3. They're not Ravens, but I'm still eager to see Carolina quarterbacks Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen go up against the Ravens defense. The Panthers are one of a few teams that have wide-open battles at quarterback, and I want to see if Clausen has what it takes to take the job from Moore. Tony Pike, another Panthers pick in April, will get some action, too. He starred at Cincinnati.
4. The ESPN "Monday Night Football" guys are here. Enjoy it. Mike Tirico, Ron Jaworski and Jon Gruden together in the booth is about as good as it gets.
5. Non-Ravens nugget: The new "Madden" game is awesome. I played it for three hours this afternoon. I'm rocking Timmy Tebow and the Broncos in the franchise mode. Who's your team?
6. I'm seeing a lot of Michael Oher jerseys at the stadium tonight. You've got to love that. The No. 37 Deion Sanders jersey? Not so much.