A jury today convicted Allen A. Banks, 29, of killing a man two years ago on Tivoly Ave. Prosecutors used two neat tricks to secure the conviction, a good demonstration of how surveillance cameras can be helpful even if they don't capture a crime.

A prosecutor used the camera to prove to the jury that it was bright enough on the street for the witness to see the suspect as he opened fire. And the prosecutor debunked the suspect's story that he had been recording rap music at a friend's studio at the time of the killing by seizing the computer and analyzing it to prove there were no recordings.


Here is a complete statement from the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office:

A Baltimore jury convicted Allen A. Banks, 29, of the 1400 block of Argyle Avenue today of first-degree murder and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence.  The trial began July 7, 2010 and the jury deliberated approximately four hours over two days before reaching its verdict.

Judge Timothy J. Doory scheduled sentencing for September 14, 2010 at which time Banks could receive a maximum prison term of life plus 20 years.

On January 17, 2008 in the 2700 block of Tivoly Avenue officers responded to a call for a shooting. Once on scene officers discovered the victim, Collin Mazyck, 27, unresponsive and suffering from multiple gun shot wounds. Police recovered nine 9mm shell casings from the crime scene.

The victim died a short time later from injuries related to this incident, and an autopsy determined the cause of death to be a homicide. An eyewitness was located who identified Banks as the individual who shot Mazyck. The state introduced pole camera footage and although the footage did not capture the crime, the prosecutor used the footage to prove that it was bright enough on the street for the witness to see Banks.

The state also presented computer forensic evidence to contradict the defendant's alibi that he was recording rap music in a friend's studio at the time of the murder. Police seized the computer from the studio and analyzed it in order to show that there were no recordings made at or around the time of the murder.

Banks remains held without bail at the Baltimore City Detention Center. Assistant State's Attorney Richard Gibson of the Homicide Division prosecuted this case.