Let's face it. America loves mock drafts, especially when it comes to the NFL. Why else would we tolerate — and by tolerate, I mean secretly idolize — ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. and his crazy slicked-back coif?
But you're probably getting sick of my mock drafts by now (heck, I'm getting sick of them), so I turned to my expanding army of followers on Twitter to take care of this latest one for me. (In fact, they're all in their Twitter war rooms as I type this up.)
Here's how it works: I assigned teams to willing Twitter participant. When it is their turn to be on the clock, they have to make their team's pick and explain the rationale behind the pick in two Tweets. I set no other rules, so we'll see how crazy this gets (I'm hoping someone drafts Optimus Prime). Consider it a science experiment. Here's who has come off the board so far:
1. Rams (@kulwicky): Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska. "Size, strength and athleticism! He will be a force for many years. Bolster the D-Line, can't go wrong. A QB pick is wasted here. Better for the Rams to sign a veteran QB to go along with [Kyle] Boller and draft a QB in a later round."
2. Lions (@Mo_Rease): Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State. "Being as though [defensive] players such as Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews and Jared Allen [are] in the division, Lions could use that size."
3. Buccaneers (@DottieL): Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma. "1. He's quick at the line. 2. Suh had the knee injury [in spring practice a year ago]. 3. McCoy didn't go to PSU. Ha!" [Editor's note: b's Matt Vensel is a Penn State grad, thus the unnecessary PSU jab]
4. Redskins (@bigphilmd): Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: "Skins need to build their O-Line, but at #4 you need to draft healthy. [Iowa's Bryan] Bulaga has thyroid issues, so I'm taking LT Anthony Davis. QBs [in this year's draft] dont have a ton over [Redskins QB Jason] Campbell, and Okung was picked. It's hard to shy away from [Clemson RB C.J.] Spiller but their O-line is abysmal."
5. Chiefs (@DS31415): Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa. "The Chiefs have got their QB and RB in [Matt] Cassell and [Jamaal] Charles but there's no one to protect them. Bulaga's a very strong blocker, and he'll block Cassell's blindside and open up holes."
6. Seahawks (@iHateJJRedick): Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma. "Seahawks run to the podium to take Sam Bradford. Best QB in the draft. Would have been 1st overall pick if he came out last year. [Seattle coach Pete] Carroll will rebuild around him."
7. Browns (@wesleycase): Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State. "Browns need help on both sides (broken record at this point) but let's go with a playmaker that will excite the dwindling fan base. Bryant's great hands and solid frame could make him a No. 1 target early in his pro career."
8. Raiders (@YourAIdiot): Tim Tebow, QB, Florida. "Bruce Campbell would be a good pick for WR opposite [Darrius Heyward-Bey], but Tebow is the greatest college player of all time, or so I've heard." [Editor's note: He's channeling his inner Al Davis]
9. Bills (@LegendCB5): Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame. "He's the best of the [quarterback] bunch in my opinion, his accuracy alone is enough to make him a reliable 8-10 year starter."
10. Jaguars (@burkett_): Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma. "He's a big, strong blocker with a ton of potential and atleticism. Combine this with speed and he fits right into our offense."
11. Broncos (@singlecarrot): Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama. "[Broncos coach Josh] McDaniels does cartwheels handing in the envelope for the All-American. Starts immediately for released Andra Davis. Anchors D."
12. Dolphins (@fishfan131): Eric Berry, S, Tennessee. "The Dolphins main needs are OLB, S, NT, and WR. With Bryant gone, there's no way they take a WR here. [Tennessee] NT Dan Williams isn't a value at #12. That leaves [Georgia Tech DE Derrick] Morgan and Berry. I can't believe Berry is still on the board, so the Dolphins will go with him." [Editor's note: This is a steal]
13. 49ers (@mishel1824): Joe Haden, CB, Florida. "Nate Clements isn't what he used to be and the 49ers secondary (aside from the O line) is its biggest weakness at the moment."
14. Seahawks (@iHateJJRedick): C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson. "[With Bradford taken at pick No. 6,] the Seahawks get best RB and best QB in the draft. [Spiller is a] versatile back with great hands. Will make a great combo with [Justin] Forsett, and the Seahawks offense for the next 10 years is now set."
15. Giants (@ASAPAdam): Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson. "Untapped potential. Multi-sport athlete. Can play hurt. Has awesome NFL name."
16. Titans (@nicholaseber): Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas. "They need another impact player on [offense], mostly WR, but the aging front 7 has forced me to pick Kindle, [a] good pass rusher who can play stand up DE or OLB, and [the] best player on board."
17. 49ers (@mishel1824): Charles Brown, OT, USC. "Considering the amount of times Alex Smith (& Shaun Hill) found themselves in trouble, its time to continue building the O line."
18. Steelers (@mjwiles19): Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State. "With [Anquan] Boldin coming to the division, a great cover corner is needed and some see Wilson as the best cover corner in the draft."
19. Falcons (@csregan): Earl Thomas, S, Texas. "The Falcons filled a huge need at CB during free agency [with Dunta Robinson]. Still need to solidify [the] D. Thomas has been compared to Ed Reed. Playing in same division as the Saints, we must defend the pass."
20. Texans (@rushringleader): Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State. "Since Thomas is now off the board, the Texans focus on offense. After a lackluster season a year ago, [Steve] Slaton gets competition."
21. Bengals (@Peter_D_Lorenz): Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech. "How he fell this far, I don't know, but we'll take a top 10 talent at No. 21. Bengals had a lot of good players on D in 2009, but no playmakers. Morgan helps Cincy take the next step. Reunion w/ [former teammate Michael] Johnson." [Editor's note: I think it's crazy, too, that the first defensive end went off the board this late. I had three going in the top 15 of my last mock draft]
22. Patriots (@DanielAEverett): Brandon Graham, OLB/DE, Michigan. "Pats ... need depth and youth everywhere. They select the best available "Belichick" guy to boost LB corps. Would rather have moved up to get Morgan once he fell past 15. Graham fits well into 3-4 or 4-3 schemes giving Pats ability to run more defensive schemes. Fills void of bust [free-agent] signing Adailus Thomas. Fellow Michigan alum Tom Brady approves."
23. Packers (@jshasen): Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland. "I don't care if [Packers QB Aaron] Rodgers lit it up last year, but 51 sacks allowed is unacceptable. The Pack will need his speed and chiseled frame to stop the likes of Julius Peppers and Jared Allen in the big NFC North."
24. Eagles (@kevinlhess): Mike Iupati, G, Idaho. "[USC safety Taylor] Mays is tempting. With Graham off the board, [Eagles coach Andy] Reid takes a massive guard who dominates -- and keeps him away from Dallas in round 1. Shawn Andrews is gone. His brother [Stacy] sucks. You win at the line of scrimmage. Depth on offensive line is always worth it."
25. Ravens (@wheelsee): Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU. "He plays like a Raven. [We didn't take Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham because] we were concerened with durability and have enough injury prone players. [Pitta] sprained his MCL in 2008 and didnt miss a game & Ravens don't need a blocking TE." [Editor's note: @wheelsee said he wanted Wilson, but the Steelers drafted him. Maybe that flustered him and prompted him to take Pitta over Gresham]
26. Cardinals (@redneckotaku): Brian Price, DT, UCLA. "Brian Price helps put pressure on offensive lines and that is a need in any good pass rushing defense."
27. Cowboys (@5280HighSalute): Taylor Mays, S, USC. "Even though I would say [an offensive] tackle is the biggest need for the Cowboys, they could also use a playmaker at the safety position and with Thomas and Berry off the board, Mays fits the bill perfectly."
28. Chargers (@harford_traffic): Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma. " The pick that the Ravens should have taken above. [The Chargers] don't need a TE but you should take best [player] available." [Editor's note: Traffic experts and NFL mock draft experts? Pretty versatile!]
29. Jets (@ShaunCoon): Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers. "McCourty is fast and will team up nicely with [Darrelle] Revis to give the Jets a pair of shutdown corners in the next few years."
30. Vikings (@InTheMore): Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama. "Would have liked to get McCourty, but we need someone in the secondary to replace Cedric Griffin. ... Almost took [Penn State DT Jared] Odrick but DL is so much of a strength on the Vikings I couldn't pull the trigger. Had the tweet already written out."
31. Colts (@philsieradzan): Daryl Washington, OLB, TCU. "This kid has speed and aggression and makes him a true monster on the field. And with 109 tackles his senior year, he is going to be unstoppable."
32. Saints (@timeagle): Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida. "Someone to help fill our holes, someone to help fix our biggest weakness from the past season, and someone to make our defense better."