xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">

Top ten comments of 2009

While you can say that 2009 has been a depressing year for families, it's been a great year here at Charm City Moms.

From the help you gave each other during that epic hunt for White House Easter Egg Roll tickets, to your cogent comments over a breastfeeding controversy, to your watching along with my husband and me as we discussed the disintegration of Jon & Kate Plus 8, I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of your comments and, with few exceptions, the civility of the discussions.

With that in mind, I thought it would be fun to review what I thought were the year's 10 most notable comments, which follow. This is obviously a pretty subjective exercise, so I'd love it if you'd nominate your own favorites.

Seems people want to either forgive or crucify the famous for common misdeeds. I just found out that our first child will be a boy, due in April '10. Is there a difference in intimacy even now? Sure, and I would expect the same next year, not becuase we love each other less but becuase there's more stress and distraction. Committed couples deal with these things and work to increase their intimacy. None of us have the insight or knowledge to say whether or not these 2 humans are working at this, or if, privately, theyare willing to be open about their relationship. All I'm saying is whats wrong for you, my be right for others. Judgment of others is not the right or responsibility of good christians.

Posted by ctwebdesigner in response to Tiger Woods and why new fathers cheat

bad mommy? forget about it : as long as we have to parent in modern society, they will keep finding things that all of the sudden present a Mortal Danger To Our Children. You do your best, you listen to your instincts, and you make your best effort to ensure safety. Living in fear of the next recall has a paralyzing effect.

Posted by Kirsten under Another huge crib recall

I think older children rejecting Sesame Street is just a healthy sign of how immensely important it is for the child during their formative ages. To reject it is simply to say "I'm a big girl/boy now". But I'm sure those same kids will be nostalgic about it as adults, just as we are.

Posted by: Jill under Sesame Street's 40th anniversary

The physical hitting of anyone, period, is simply defined as assault. May God bless any soul that places a hand on my child inappropriately - they will be begging for the police to save them from me.

Posted by kqmom under Toddler anger and the Wal Mart slap

This is just an extension of the technique that my children perfected in preschool: cry pitiously when I leave them at preschool, then cry even harder why I make them leave preschool at the end of the day. Now they don't want to get in the pool, and then they whinge when the pool closes and it's time to go home. I think I got defective children, but my mother mutters darkly about "only what I deserve..."

Posted by Baltofoodie under Mean mommy forces kids to go to the pool

Every day it is a choice on whether John & Kate will choose to love each other. Each day both John & Kate should choose to work out their problems and choose to love one another. It's all about love, trust, respect and communication. That's how my husband and my marriage has made it through 31 years. Everyone thought we would not stay married; however we chose the decisions mentioned above. We also learned to put God first in our marriage. No one or no marriage will ever be perfect. I don't think John or Kate would want another man or woman (i.e stepfather, stepmother) to raise their beautiful children. I'm lifting them up for a wonderful life together.

Posted by Anonymous under John & Kate Plus 2 watch Jon & Kate Plus 8

My daughter (almost 5) just asked for a nose pierce, a giraffe and a baby brother all on the same day. Hmmm...choices, choices, choices.

Posted by Edamommy under Octo-mom pet

As a first-time mother who spends most of her days nursing her 2 month old, I have had hours to give this topic some thought. Once we got the hang of it I too loved the fact that I could feed my daughter. But as someone who will have to go back to work in a few weeks I am saddened by the way this topic is framed. Breastfeeding is a choice, and I never ever pass judgment on mothers who for whatever reason are bottle-feeding their children. I am lucky, I work in an office where I can at least pump privately. But this whole "debate" masks the true issue that should be discussed in our country: how women are offered ridiculously paltry amounts of family leave. Is it any wonder how women feel judged and stressed and incapable of "doing it all" when most have to return to work in 3 months or less? And to mothers lucky enough to stay at home, no, I do not believe that my going back to work is a "choice" - in my case I stand to lose my pension and health insurance should I quit my job, not to mention the ability to contribute to our mortgage. The real discussion should be about flexible time, work-site daycare, and policies that allow moms to actually raise their children in infancy.

Posted by Claudia under Breastfeeding wars

Worry-free hint: in my desk, I have a pair, each, of blue, brown and black socks. They were given to me by a co-worker who couldn't function when I wore mis-matched socks to work.

No, really. I couldn't make this up.

Two rules for stress management:

A. Don't sweat the small stuff.

B. It's all small stuff.

Posted by Bucky under No worries day

Maybe Dad's aren't buying into this "multitasking" thing you refer to. I'm a guy and I've raised kids and grandkids; always shopped, cooked and cleaned, coached teams and took 'em fishing. Take it from me... there'd be more stable, happy families if parents would get a grip and take care of the important things. Next year nobody is gonna care how hard you worked on that presentation this weekend. Nobody. And don't be a martyr at home. The memory of a stressed-out, always tired, barely in control, frazzled, medicated mom will last a lifetime.

Posted by VC under Mad at Dad