The signing deadline for 2009 MLB draft selections was last night, and the Orioles agreed to deals with 29 of the team's 50 choices.
Second-round selection Mychal Givens, a Florida high school player who was set to attend Oklahoma State, agreed to terms with the team as the midnight deadline approached.
I've listed the 29 draft picks who signed below, in order of the round in which they were selected. The number of the round is listed to the left. Some of the players have yet to appear in games within the Orioles' minor league system, but statistics are given when available.1. Matt Hobgood, RHP -- The 19-year-old right-hander is continuing to adapt to professional baseball. Hobgood, who signed in June, is 1-0 with a 4.15 ERA in five starts for the Rookie-level Bluefield Orioles. He tossed five scoreless innings against the Princeton Rays during his last start on Aug. 13.
2. Mychal Givens, SS -- In an exciting turn of events for Orioles fans, the 19-year-old shortstop reached an agreement with the team shortly before the midnight deadline. Givens, who was also a top pitcher in high school, is not expected to be assigned to any of the affiliates in the Orioles' minor league system before heading to the fall instructional league.
3. Tyler Townsend, 1B -- The 21-year-old infielder missed a month of the season with the short-season Single-A Aberdeen IronBirds due to a wrist injury. Townsend recently returned to Aberdeen's lineup, and he is batting .159 with one home run and eight RBIs in 16 games this season.
4. Randy Henry, RHP -- The 19-year-old right-hander signed with the Orioles for $365,000 last week. Henry hasn't been assigned to any of the affiliates in the team's minor league system at this point in the season.
5. Ashur Tolliver, LHP -- The 21-year-old left-hander signed with the Orioles for $200,000 last week. Tolliver has yet to appear for any of the teams in the organization.
6. Justin Dalles, C -- The 20-year-old catcher agreed to terms with the Orioles in late June and was assigned to Aberdeen. In 35 games with the IronBirds, Dalles is batting .225 with eight doubles and 15 RBIs.
7. Aaron Wirsch, LHP -- The 18-year-old right-hander is 1-0 with a 0.90 ERA in five appearances (two starts) for the Rookie-level GCL Orioles. Wirsch collected 12 strikeouts and walked four batters in his first 10 innings in professional baseball.
9. Ryan Berry, RHP -- The 21-year-old right-hander signed with the Orioles last week for $417,600. Berry was believed to be a tough player to sign when the team selected him. He hasn't pitched for any of the Orioles' affiliates so far this season.
10. Jacob Cowan, RHP -- The 21-year-old right-hander made his debut with the IronBirds in July, and he is 1-2 with a 3.60 ERA in six games (two starts) in 2009. Cowan hasn't pitched for Aberdeen since Aug. 4 when he held the State College Spikes to one hit in five innings.
11. Michael Ohlman, C -- The 18-year-old catcher hit .550 with three home runs, 28 RBIs and 23 stolen bases during his senior year of high school. Ohlman signed a contract with the Orioles earlier this week, and he hasn't been assigned to any teams within the organization.
12. Steve Bumbry, OF -- The 21-year-old outfielder missed about three weeks earlier in the season due to a groin injury. In 29 games for Aberdeen, Bumbry is hitting .225 with one home run and seven RBIs. He also has four doubles and three triples.
13. Tyler Kelly, 2B -- The 21-year-old infielder will be joined by IronBirds infielder Levi Carolus and left-handed pitcher Jacob Smith to represent the team in the New York-Penn League tonight. Kelly is batting .294 with one home run, 15 RBIs and 25 runs scored in 45 games for Aberdeen.
14. David Baker, RHP -- The 18-year-old right-hander made his professional debut with the GCL Orioles on July 21. Baker doesn't have any wins or losses, but he has a 2.38 ERA in six appearances with the team.
16. Ryan Palsha, RHP -- The 19-year-old right-hander is 1-1 with a 4.86 ERA and three saves in seven appearances for Bluefield this season. Palsha struck out four batters and only allowed one hit in three scoreless innings last night against the Bristol Sox.
18. Jarret Martin, LHP -- The 20-year-old left-hander is listed on Bluefield's roster, but he has not appeared in any games for the Rookie-level affiliate so far in 2009.
19. Kipp Schutz, OF -- The 21-year-old outfielder is batting .250 with one home run, 14 RBIs and 18 runs scored in 30 games for Bluefield. Schutz is hitting .290 (9-for-31) with his only home run, three doubles, five RBIs and six runs scored in his past 10 games.
20. James Brandhorst, RHP -- The 21-year-old right-hander is 0-1 with a 1.96 ERA and four saves in 16 appearances for the IronBirds in 2009. Opponents are batting .254 against Brandhorst, who has struck out 19 hitters in 18 1/3 innings.
21. Kevin Landry, RHP -- The 21-year-old right-hander has a 3.93 ERA in nine appearances for the IronBirds, but he hasn't factored in any decisions. Landry struck out 27 batters and issued 14 walks in 18 1/3 innings so far in 2009.
22. Cameron Coffey, LHP -- The 18-year-old left-hander established a club record for a late-round selection by agreeing to a contract with the Orioles that included a $990,000 signing bonus. Coffey is currently recovering from Tommy John surgery.
23. Michael Mooney, SS -- The 21-year-old infielder signed with the Orioles in late June and was assigned to Aberdeen. In 35 games for the IronBirds, Mooney is hitting .235 with one home run, 12 RBIs and 17 runs scored.
24. Justin Anderson, LHP -- The 21-year-old left-hander signed with the Orioles in the middle of June. Anderson is 2-1 with a 3.25 ERA in 11 appearances (one start) with Bluefield.
26. Michael Mechaw, LHP -- Mechaw, who will turn 21 on Wednesday, doesn't have any decisions in nine appearances for Bluefield this season. The young left-hander has a 6.41 ERA, and opponents are batting .253 against him.
27. Michael Planeta, OF -- The 19-year-old outfielder is batting .283 with two home runs and 22 RBIs in 47 games for Bluefield. Planeta also has eight doubles, two triples, five stolen bases and 21 runs scored for the Orioles this season.
28. Kyle Hoppy, OF -- The 18-year-old outfielder was planning to play football and baseball at Bucknell before agreeing to terms with the Orioles earlier this week. Hoppy hasn't been assigned to any of the affiliates in the organization so far in 2009.
30. Brenden Webb, OF -- The 19-year-old outfielder signed with the Orioles last week, and he recently joined the GCL Orioles. Webb is batting .125 (1-for-8) with a double and three runs scored in three games so far in 2009.
31. Mike Flacco, 1B/3B -- The 22-year-old infielder, who is the brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, is batting .247 with three home runs and 24 RBIs in 48 games for Bluefield. Flacco also has 10 doubles, three triples and 24 runs scored this season.
38. Josh Dowdy, RHP -- The 22-year-old right-hander was 2-0 with three saves and a 1.13 ERA in nine appearances with Bluefield before being promoted to the IronBirds in late July. In seven games with Aberdeen, Dowdy is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA and four saves.
45. David Rivera, OF -- The 18-year-old outfielder is hitting .202 with one home run and 10 RBIs in 36 games for the GCL Orioles in 2009. Rivera also has three doubles and two triples, but he has struck out 31 times so far this season.
50. Timothy Berry, LHP -- The 18-year-old left-hander signed with the Orioles in July and is going to be recovering from Tommy John surgery for the near future.