Two of the best prospects in baseball will square off again this afternoon when the Triple-A Norfolk Tides play the Durham Bulls. Tampa Bay Rays minor league left-hander David Price is scheduled to pitch for Durham against Matt Wieters and the Tides.
The Double-A Bowie Baysox look to avoid a four-game sweep against the Reading Phillies, while the Single-A Frederick Keys face the Potomac Nationals.
The Single-A Delmarva Shorebirds are idle.
Durham Bulls (1:15 p.m.)
Norfolk: Jason Berken (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Durham: David Price (1-1, 2.63 ERA)
* Berken pitched well in his Triple-A debut on April 21 against the Charlotte Knights, earning the victory after only giving up four hits in seven scoreless innings during the Tides' 5-0 win. The 25-year-old right-hander was 1-1 with a 5.63 ERA in two starts for the Baysox before being promoted to Norfolk to replace Brad Bergesen.
* In his first start of the season on April 11, Price ran into some trouble against the Tides. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed two runs and four hits in 3 2/3 innings. Price has only given up two earned runs and six hits in 10 innings, however, during his past two starts. He struck out 11 hitters and issued two walks in those two games.
* Norfolk's Oscar Salazar is currently on a 12-game hitting streak. The 30-year-old utility player is batting .410 with two home runs and 14 RBIs this season. He is fourth in the International League in batting average -- behind teammate Nolan Reimold (.411) -- and first in hits (25). Salazar ranks among the top 10 in several other offensive categories.Bowie Baysox (AA)
at Reading Phillies (1:05 p.m.)
Bowie: Sean Gleason (0-1, 11.25 ERA)
Reading: Tyson Brummett (0-1, 3.60 ERA)
* Gleason allowed six runs (five earned) and seven hits in four innings during his first start for the Baysox on April 19 against the Akron Aeros. The 23-year-old right-hander was 0-1 with a 6.35 ERA in two appearances (one start) for the Keys before being promoted to Double-A. Gleason has struggled so far in 2009, but remember that he was 12-2 with a 2.63 ERA in 30 games for the Shorebirds last season.
* Brummett was dominating in his last start, giving up one run and five hits in 7 2/3 innings against the Altoona Curve on April 21. The 24-year-old right-hander struck out five batters and didn't issue any walks in Reading's 3-1 victory.
Potomac Nationals (2 p.m.)
Frederick: Pedro Beato (0-2, 4.20 ERA)
Potomac: Erik Arnesen (2-0, 1.69 ERA)
* Beato is still searching for his first victory of the season with the Keys. The 22-year-old right-hander suffered the loss against the Lynchburg Hillcats on April 21 after allowing three earned runs and eight hits in six innings. Overall, Beato is 0-2 with a 4.20 ERA in three starts this season. He has given up 19 hits and walked six batters in 15 innings.
* Arnesen gave up two runs (one earned) and six hits in six innings during the first game of a doubleheader against the Winston-Salem Dash on April 21. The 25-year-old right-hander struck out eight hitters in Potomac's 3-2 win. In his first three starts, Arnesen collected 16 strikeouts and walked two hitters in 16 innings.