Doris O. Young, a longtime community and arts volunteer, died March 12 at age 92.
Doris O. Young, a longtime community and arts volunteer, died March 12 at age 92. (HANDOUT)

Doris O. Young, a longtime community hospital and arts volunteer, died of respiratory failure Sunday at Roland Park Place. The former Otterbein and Guilford resident was 92.

Born Doris Lucetta Oliver in Marion, Pa., and raised in Greencastle, Pa., she was the daughter of Joshua E. Oliver, a Greencastle businessman, and Nell Harrison Oliver. She was a graduate of Greencastle-Antrim High School and earned a bachelor's degree from Hood College in 1946.


As a young woman, she worked briefly as a lab assistant at a New Jersey drug company.

In 1947 she married Joseph H. Young, an attorney who was later appointed a federal district judge.

The couple resided in Hanover, N.H., and Charlottesville, Va., as Judge Young completed undergraduate studies after World War II at Dartmouth College and the University of Virginia School of Law. At Virginia, Mrs. Young took a seminar with novelist William Faulkner

She and her husband moved to Baltimore in 1951 and lived successively in Towson, Rodgers Forge, Cedarcroft and Guilford as they raised three sons. In 1980, they moved to Otterbein when the neighborhood was initially being renovated.

She oversaw improvements to the Guilford home, located next to Sherwood Gardens, and was extensively involved in the design of their home in Otterbein.

Mrs. Young volunteered at Children's Hospital and was a docent at what is now the Walters Art Museum. She also worked alongside her husband when he became national chairman of the American Cancer Society.

The couple traveled widely as cancer research advocates for the cancer society and the Union of International Cancer Control. In this capacity, she was photographed with Egyptian President Anwar Sudat and Indonesia's first lady, Madame Suharto, among other notables.

"She was bright with a lovely sense of humor," said a friend, Betty Lewison, who recalled hosting vacations in Jamaica at her Merryland home. "We all just hit it off well."

In 1972, Mrs. Young and her husband bought a farm in Norwich, Vt., where they spent holidays and vacations. After her husband took senior status on the bench, the couple spent summers at the 1786 farmhouse, where she also enjoyed decorating for Thanksgivings and Christmas.

"She was really a hands-on grandmother with my four children," said one of her sons, Steve Young, a Baltimore Sun editor. "Christmases and summers at the farm were among their most cherished memories."

She also played tennis and bridge, solved crossword puzzles and read extensively. She was a member of the Women's Hamilton Street Club.

She had been active at Towson Presbyterian and Second Presbyterian churches.

Judge Young, her husband of 67 years, died in 2015.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 24 at Second Presbyterian Church, 4200 St. Paul St., where she was a member.


Other survivors include sons Bill Young, a contractor who lives in Chattanooga, Tenn., and Hank Young, an attorney who lives in Edmond, Okla.; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.