David S. Ridgely Jr., a retired White Construction Co. vice president and avid waterfowl hunter, died April 21 of pancreatic cancer at his condominium at Cattail Cove in Cambridge. He was 92.
The son of D. Stewart Ridgely Sr., an Equitable Trust Co. vice president, and Dorothy Powell Ridgely, a sportswoman, David Stewart Ridgely was born in Baltimore and raised at his family's 200-acre Fallow Field Farm, in Dulaney Valley.
The farm — which had been given to his grandfather — had originally been a part of Hampton Mansion, the ancestral home of the Ridgely family from 1745 to 1948, from whom he was descended. His father was the last member of the family to be born at Hampton Mansion.
As a youth growing up on the farm, Mr. Ridgely was surrounded by horses and dogs and rode with the Elkridge-Harford Hunt Club and the Wythmore Hounds, family members said.
After graduating from Gilman School in 1943, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and began V-12 officers' training at the University of North Carolina, and continued training at Duke University and Purdue University.
He received his commission in 1945 and was placed on inactive duty after World War II ended.
Mr. Ridgely continued his education at Princeton University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1947.
He began working for Empire Construction Co. in 1947, which had contracts with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for projects in Maryland, West Virginia and Indiana, and with the old Maryland State Roads Commission.
Mr. Ridgely was called to active duty at the outbreak of the Korean War, and he was stationed at Camp Lejune in Jacksonville, N.C., until being discharged in 1952.
In the early 1950s, he worked for Crest Contracting Co. as a supervisor, and then became a partner in H.O Firoy & Co., which handled earthwork projects.
When the company was dissolved in 1963, he joined P. Flanigan & Sons Inc. as a project manager, and worked on projects at the old Friendship Airport and the Maryland House rest stop on Interstate 95 in Harford County.
He worked as a project manager for A.H. Smith on an I-95 project in Jessup before being named in 1980 a project manager and vice president of White Construction Co., which built bowling alleys, condominiums, shopping centers and automobile agencies.
He retired in 1990.
Mr. Ridgely purchased two Eastern Shore farms, Tider Farm in 1985 and Ridgely's Folly in 1996, where he lived for 20 years.
He enjoyed hunting and fishing on the Eastern Shore, and continued playing tennis until he was 90.
Mr. Ridgely was a communicant and had been senior warden at St. John's Chapel, an Episcopal church in Cambridge.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Christ Episcopal Church, 601 Church St., Cambridge.
Mr. Ridgely is survived by his wife of 51 years, the former Mary Elizabeth Blalock; a son, Stewart D. Ridgely III of Lutherville; a daughter, Patricia Ridgely "Patsy" Zeh of Apollo Beach, Fla.; a stepson, Alfred Blalock Sadtler of Charlottesville, Va.; a stepdaughter, Cindy Sadtler Ayd of Salisbury; and seven grandchildren. An earlier marriage to Mary Robins Curtin ended in divorce.