xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Highrise apartment blaze caused by cigarette, Baltimore fire department says

A two-alarm fire that broke out at an East Baltimore highrise last month was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette, the Baltimore Fire Department said.

More than 170 residents were displaced from their homes after a two-alarm fire broke out at the eight-story high-rise Lanvale Towers apartment complex at 1300 E. Lanvale Street on Easter Sunday.

Advertisement

The fire department said Friday that the blaze was caused by a cigarette that inside of the eighth floor trash chute.

"It was unfortunate that the residents of Lanvale Towers were without a place to stay. Fortunately, no one was injured and everyone was able to escape safely," Chief Niles R. Ford said in a statement.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Most of the tenants in the privately owned building are elderly or disabled, residents said.

Baltimore Housing, The American Red Cross and building management worked with residents to find temporary shelter.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement