Visit the contest page to enter
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
The Baltimore Sun and Domino Sugar Photo Contest ("Contest") starts at 9 a.m ET on October 31, 2012 and ends at 5 p.m. ET on November 25, 2012 ("Contest Period"). This Contest will be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, each contestant agrees to abide and be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges and The Baltimore Sun Company ("Sponsor").
1) Eligibility: This Contest is open to legal U.S. residents residing in Maryland and within a 30-mile radius of The Baltimore Sun at 501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21278 who are 18 years and older as of the first day of the Contest Period. Employees (and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, parents, siblings or children) or household members (whether or not related) of Sponsor and Domino Sugar and of their parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, prize providers, and/or public relations companies associated with this Contest, are not eligible to participate. A potential winner may be requested to provide proof that all eligibility requirements are met as well as proof of ownership of the email address associated with the winning entry. Void where prohibited and outside the above-described area. This Contest will be governed and enforced pursuant to Maryland law, excluding choice of law provisions.
2) How to Enter: To enter the Contest, readers must submit a photo of the Domino Sugars sign in Baltimore (the "Photo") and accurately complete the online entry form. Entries must be submitted to www.baltimoresun.com/dominos during the Contest Period. The photos must not contain any people. Incomplete entries will be disqualified, and Sponsor is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, deleted, garbled, corrupted, mis-delivered, or misdirected. The computer clock of Sponsor's webmaster is the official timekeeping device of the Contest. Limit one entry per person; multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified. Any attempt by any contestant to obtain more than the stated number of entries using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void such entries and that contestant may be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind. The use of automated or third party software or web site to register and/or play is prohibited. All received entry information (but not the Photos) becomes the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
3) Winners and Notification: In early December, a panel of judges from Domino Sugar will judge entries based on how well they reflect "best new or old photo of the Domino Sugar sign." The decision of the judges is final. Sponsor will announce the winners on or about December 9, 2012. Sponsor will make all final decisions in any and all issues related to this Contest, and its decisions are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will attempt to contact potential winners by phone and/or email. A winner will be disqualified and the next leading entry will be selected from among all remaining eligible entries if: (a) a winner does not claim his or her prize within 72 hours of the first notification attempt; (b) a winner does not fulfill the eligibility requirements; (c) a winner does not adhere to the Official Rules; and/or (d) if the prize notification is returned as undeliverable, refused, or declined.
4) Prizes and Delivery: One Grand Prize: Grand Prize winner will receive $990. One First Prize: First Prize winner will receive $590. Total value of all prizes: $1,580.
Each winner is solely responsible for any applicable federal, state and local taxes in connection with winner's prize. Prize substitutions are not allowed, and prizes are not transferable. Only Sponsor may elect, at its discretion, to substitute a prize of greater or equal value because of lack of availability. All expenses not specifically provided for herein are the responsibility of the prize winner. All properly claimed prizes will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. The prize may be required to be picked up from The Baltimore Sun offices at 501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21278. Sponsor is not responsible for loss, delay or damage in delivery.
5) Submitted Materials: By submitting a Photo, contestant represents and warrants that the Photo submitted: is the original creation of the contestant or that contestant has all rights necessary to submit the Photo; has not been copied in whole or in part from any other work; contains no defamatory, threatening, obscene, harassing or otherwise unlawful material; has never been previously published or submitted to any other competition; does not violate or infringe any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary or privacy or publicity right of any person or entity; and is the exclusive property of the contestant. Contestant further represents and warrants that no laws were broken in the creation of the Photo. If a contestant breaches any of these representations and warranties, or any of the Official Rules, he or she is solely responsible for injury caused by the breach. Violation of any of these representations and warranties will be cause for disqualification. Contestants agree to indemnify, defend and hold Sponsor harmless against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, debts, investigations, fines, penalties, costs, expenses and settlements (including attorneys fees and costs of litigation, settlement, judgment, interest and penalties) arising out of or related to a breach of the foregoing representations and warranties. Each contestant grants to Sponsor and Domino Sugar an irrevocable, world-wide, royalty-free, perpetual, fully transferable license to use the contestant's Photo, and any ideas contained therein, in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, in any manner related to the Contest, Sponsor and/or Domino Sugar, including but not limited to advertising for Sponsor or Domino Sugar, without prior notice, approval or compensation. Contestants otherwise will retain all rights to their Photo, and the Sponsor or Domino Sugar's publication of their Photo will not limit their use and ability to further market the Photo. Each contestant agrees that the Sponsor has no obligation to use or continue using such contestant's Photo. Photos that do not comply with these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will be disqualified and will not be considered for a prize. The Sponsor makes the final determination as to which entries are eligible to take part in this Contest and may be considered for a prize. Certain Photos may be featured from time to time on the Contest website during the Contest, in Sponsor's sole discretion; being selected as a featured Photo is unrelated to the judging process and does not guarantee selection as a prize winner in the Contest.
7) Other Conditions: Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release as well as certain tax documents, and, if so, any required documentation must be signed and returned to Sponsor within one week of the date Sponsor sends it to winner. Failure to return such documentation will result in that winner being disqualified, and Sponsor may award prize to the next best entry based on the judges' evaluation.
By entering this Contest, each contestant agrees to release, waive and hold harmless Sponsor and Domino Sugar and their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations and advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents from any and all injuries, claims, damages, losses, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney's fees) resulting from accessing the Contest website; submitting an entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest; the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded; preparing for, participating in or traveling to and/or from any prize-related activity, or; any printing, typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement or offering of any prize. Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsor's right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
By entering the Contest, contestants agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any contestant be permitted to obtain any award for, and contestant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
By accepting the prize, each winner agrees, where legal, to allow Sponsor and its agents and licensees to use their names, voices, photographs, likenesses and any information provided on the entry form, in any medium of communication, including advertising, promotional or other purposes, without additional compensation.
8) Internet/Fraud/Tampering: If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this Contest or any website associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of the Contest and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by contestants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Sponsor's sole opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest or any portion thereof. If this Contest is cancelled, the Sponsor will determine the winners by applying the voting criteria set forth above to all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted at the Baltimore Sun website. ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE ENTRY SITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTESTWILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit any contestant from participating in the Contest if, at its sole discretion, Sponsor finds such contestant to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, or if such contestant shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent, these Official Rules, or acts: (a) in a manner the Sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (b) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other contestant or Sponsors; or (c) in any other disruptive manner. Sponsor assumes no liability for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty, failed, garbled or jumbled electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Contest; (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Contest; or (d) inaccessibility or unavailability of the Internet or the Contest website or any combination thereof.
9) Winners List: For an Official Winners List (available after December 10, 2012), send a request and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Renee Mutchnik Baltimore Sun, 501 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21278. All requests for Winners List must be received by January 31, 2013.
10) Sponsors: The Baltimore Sun Company, 501 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21278 and Domino Sugar, 1100 E. Key Hwy. Baltimore MD 21230. Visit the contest page to enter