On June 28, the Chesapeake Chapter added a new and significant dimension to this program with the unveiling of the first Outdoor Lighthouse Historical Placard at Fort Smallwood County Park in Pasadena. This display tells the story of the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse, which is the only circular cottage style lighthouse ever built in the Chesapeake Bay.
It also recalls the lifesaving efforts of Keeper Thomas Steinhise in 1933 when he saved a number of sailors from a tug that sank in terrible weather near the lighthouse. He was awarded the Silver Lifesaving Medal for his rescue.
The display stands near the northeast shoreline of the park, facing east towards the current light structure that now guards the shoal at Seven Foot Knoll. The unveiling ceremony was attended by the Chapter President Cory Talbot, Del. Nic Kipke, Downs Park Superintendent is Nollie Fisher representing the county Parks and Recreation Department, Fort Smallwood Park Ranger Chris Hughes, the Chapter Programs Coordinator Greg Krawczyk and a large gathering of the Steinhise family. It was a hot day so the ceremony commenced at 2 pm and proceeded quickly.
The cooperation of the Fort Smallwood Park Superintendent, Kevin Keller and his staff at Fort Smallwood Park were instrumental in getting these displays approved and put in place. For more details about these Historical Lighthouse Placards, visit the chapters web site, www.CHESLIGHTS.org. Other volunteer work the Chesapeake Chapter performs is the maintenance and preservation of the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse off Annapolis and hosting the Maryland Lighthouse Challenge in September.
- Greg Krawczyk