1. The Baltimore Sun’s Crabbies contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by The Baltimore Sun Company, LLC (“Sponsor”),501 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202. The nomination period for the Contest begins on October 26, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. ET and ends November 8, 2017 at noon ET (the “Nomination Period”). Voting for the Contest begins on November 10, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. ET and ends Nov. 28, 2017, at noon ET (the “Voting Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this Contest. The Contest is designed to highlight the best online content about a Maryland-related topic or published by a Maryland resident or organization, and all such content must have a local focus. The content may come from a website, blog, social media account, or podcast. A “blog” is defined as a Web page with dated entries, with the most recent entries at the top of the page. A blog includes all text, images, video, sounds, content, graphics or other material included or posted to the Blog, all of which together are subject to all requirement and limitations in these Official Rules. A “social media account” is an account with publicly viewable posts on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest,
2. To be eligible, the online content must have been updated since Oct. 26, 2016, and it must be about a Maryland-related topic or published by a Maryland resident or organization. Eligible content will be referred to as “Content”, and the person who created the Content will be referred to as the “Nominee.” Content must not contain material that: (a) violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement; (b) disparages Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest; (c) is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, or defamatory; (d) promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or (e) is unlawful.
3. Content will be placed into 17 categories (each, a “Category”): Community/social activism, Meme/viral, Essay/thinkpiece, Podcast, Video, Instagram account, Facebook page, Twitter account, Snapchat account, Reddit user, Sports, Food, Arts/Entertainment, Personal/Lifestyle, City Blog, Suburbs Blog, Business/Organizations.
4. To nominate Content for a Category, during the Nomination Period complete the form at baltimoresun.com and click “Submit”.
5. You must be at least 18 years old and a legal resident of the United States to submit a nomination, and you must be located in the United States at the time you submit the nomination. You may nominate your own Content.
6. A specific item of Content may be eligible in no more than three Categories. If a specific item of Content is nominated for more than three Categories, Sponsor will choose the three Categories in which the Content will be considered. Sponsor reserves the right to refuse nominations for Content that is deemed not appropriate for the Category.
7. Each item of Content is automatically eligible for three merit-based awards and the Best In Show award. Judges chosen by the Sponsor will pick the three merit-based award winners and 10 finalists for Best In Show.
8. Category awards and the Best in Show award will be determined by popular vote. To vote, visit baltimoresun.com during the Voting Period and cast a vote for each award you wish to vote for, selecting your favorite Content from the options provided, and clicking “Vote for this award”. You may also, instead of selecting one of the Content options, submit an item of Content as a write-in nominee in any Category award. Each voter is limited to one vote per day per award.
9. You may, but are not required to, submit a comment (“Comment”) in connection with your Nomination. The Comment must not contain material that: (a) violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement; (b) disparages Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest and administration of this Contest; (c) was not created by you; (d) is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, or defamatory; (e) promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; (f) is unlawful or (g) violates the Terms of Service on the entry website.
10. For each Comment you post, upload, or otherwise make available (“Provide”), you grant Sponsor and
place advertisements in close proximity to such Comment; and (d) use your name, likeness and any other information in connection with our use of the material you Provide. You waive all moral rights with respect to any Comment you Provide. You also grant Sponsor and tronc the right to use any material, information, ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in any communication you Provide or otherwise submit for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, commercial purposes, and developing, manufacturing and marketing commercial products using such information. All rights in this section are granted without the need for additional compensation of any sort by Sponsor or tronc to you.
12. If a voter writes in the name of for Content already listed in a Category, that write-in vote is added to the Content’s overall total. Because of spelling errors and variations on names, Sponsor will attempt to standardize the write-in votes to match the vote to the correct Content, and such decisions are in the sole discretion of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to refuse votes for Content that are deemed not appropriate for the Category for which the votes were cast. Vote totals will not be published.
13. The leading vote recipient in each Category and in Best in Show will be declared the winner of that award. If there is a tie, the tied entries will each receive the award. An item of Content may be honored in up to three Categories plus Best in Show, but votes will not be combined across Categories.
14. Sponsor will attempt to contact winners, in accordance with public contact information listed for the Nominee. If a potential winner is determined to be ineligible, Sponsor in its discretion may disqualify that potential winner and an alternate winner will be chosen applying the criteria set forth above as soon as reasonably practicable after such disqualification.
15. Contest winners (merit-based winners, Category winners, and Best in Show winner) will be presented with a certificate of their award at a public awards ceremony. The time and place of the ceremony will be published by the Sponsor on baltimoresun.com during the Nomination Period or Voting Period. Winners must be present at the ceremony to receive their certificate. Each certificate has a retail value of less than $5. If a winner does not receive their certificate, no alternate prize will be awarded. Contest winners will also be listed online at baltimoresun.com. Public recognition has no retail value, and if, for any reason, a winner is not listed, no alternate prize will be awarded.
16. It is the intention of Sponsor to honor a winner in each Category, plus a Best in Show winner and three merit-based winners, provided a sufficient number of eligible nominees receive votes.
17. The Nominees are permitted to encourage others to vote for their Content. Votes generated by a script, macro, or other automated means will be disqualified. You must be at least 18 years old and a legal resident of the United States to vote. All voters must be located in the United States at the time they cast their vote. Proxy voting is not allowed. No one may purchase votes. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed, script, macro, or any other automated means or similar entry methods or agents, vote exchange websites, vote “farming” or other method to vote or unfairly increase votes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, is prohibited and will void all votes submitted by that voter. Moreover, if Sponsor concludes, in its sole discretion, that any Nominee has colluded with any voter to violate these Official Rules or has participated in or actively encouraged such activity, whether directly or indirectly, Sponsor may disqualify that Nominee from further participation in the Contest and or eligibility for the prize. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any vote at any time that in its opinion does not comply with these Official Rules.
18. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any voter or Nominee from further participation in the Contest if Sponsor concludes, in its sole discretion, that such voter or Nominee: (a) has attempted to tamper with the voting process or other operation of the Contest; (b) has disregarded or has attempted to circumvent these Official Rules; or (c) has acted toward Sponsor or any other Nominee or voter in an unfair, inequitable, deliberately annoying, threatening, disrupting or harassing manner. If a dispute arises regarding compliance with these Official Rules, Sponsor may consider, in its sole discretion, data reasonably available to Sponsor through information technology systems in Sponsor’s control, but Sponsor will not be obligated to consider any data or other information collected from any other source. Any failure by Sponsor to enforce any of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of such Official Rules.
19. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend or terminate this Contest or any part thereof, if Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that the security, administration, fairness and/or operation of the Contest has been corrupted or impaired by any non-authorized intervention, network failure, information storage failure, telecommunications failure, malfunction, or any other cause beyond Sponsor’s control. If Sponsor terminates the Contest, Sponsor will post notice of same on the Contest webpage and select the winners in each Category by applying the criteria set forth above based on eligible, non-suspect votes received as of the termination date.
20. By nominating, being nominated, voting or accepting a prize, all participants acknowledge that Sponsor, tronc, Inc., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Flickr, Reddit, and any affiliates or prize suppliers and all of their employees, officers and directors (“Released Parties”) are not responsible for, and participants agree to release Released Parties from, any and all claims, liability, damages, losses or injuries of any kind, arising out of their participation in the Contest, their acceptance/possession and/or use/misuse of the prize. By nominating, being nominated, voting or accepting a prize, all participants further acknowledge that Released Parties are not responsible for, and participants agree to release Released Parties from: any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure; theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, hardware, or software; failure of any email or electronic entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in, voting in or downloading any materials from this Contest.
21. By nominating or voting, the nominator or voter acknowledges the understanding of and agreement with these Official Rules.
22. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the nominators, nominees, voters or Sponsor in connection with the Contest, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Maryland. Any legal proceedings arising out of this Contest or relating to these Official Rules must be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in the State of Maryland, County of Baltimore, and the parties consent to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these Official Rules. The invalidity or enforceability of any provision of these Official Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules will otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
23. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Flickr, Reddit, YouTube, or Vimeo. Any questions that entrants have about this Contest must be directed to Baltimore Sun and not to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Flickr, Reddit. Vine, YouTube, or Vimeo. Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners. The use or mention of such third party trademarks in these Official Rules or in the Contest is solely for descriptive purposes and will in no way imply an endorsement or sponsorship of the Contest.