Baltimore homicide detectives are investigating a Friday evening shooting near Clifton Park that left one man dead, according to a police department news release.
Officers went to the 2000 block of Cliftwood Avenue at 6:17 p.m. after getting a report of a shooting there, police said. When they arrived, an officer found a 28-year-old man who had been shot multiple times and was unresponsive. Medics took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police identified the victim Monday as David Boykin, also known as Baltimore rapper President Davo. Police previously said his name was Davis.
Andrea England, Boykin’s manager, said he was a devoted father of three children.
“He was a number one dad,” England said. “He was around his kids all the time, and they worshipped the ground he walked on.”
In his last conversation with his manager, Boykin said he was in the process of releasing new music, England said. This was his 10th year as a rapper and musician, and they were hopeful he would be the city’s next breakout artist, England said.
The Baltimore Sun named President Davo’s self-released title “Born in the Trenches” as one of the 30 Baltimore songs that defined 2017.
“We were hoping he was the next person to put Baltimore on the map because we are so hopeless,” England said. “It is hard being an artist or rapper in Baltimore.”
Boykin is at least the second person shot in Baltimore on Friday. Earlier, at about 1 a.m., patrol officers in the Western District went to the 1800 block of Clifton Avenue for a separate shooting. A 31-year-old man had been shot once in the upper body and was taken to a hospital for treatment. Baltimore Police do not identify nonfatal shooting victims.
In both instances, detectives are asking anyone with information to come forward.
There have been at least 215 homicides and 512 nonfatal shootings so far this year. Both of those figures are down compared to the same period a year ago, when there were 255 homicides and 556 nonfatal shootings.





![Westminster man Malcolm Wade, 34, was sentenced on Wednesday to 20 years in prison as part of a 50-year sentence for the alleged rape and armed abduction of a Maryland woman last August. The defendant plead guilty in April to rape and false imprisonment charges stemming from the alleged incident, according to a news release from the Carroll County State’s Attorney’s Office. Investigators believe Wade forced the victim into a car at knifepoint, after which she drove him to his home in the 400 block of Baldwin Park Drive, near the Carroll County Farm Museum. According to the news release, he […] Westminster man Malcolm Wade, 34, was sentenced on Wednesday to 20 years in prison as part of a 50-year sentence for the alleged rape and armed abduction of a Maryland woman last August. The defendant plead guilty in April to rape and false imprisonment charges stemming from the alleged incident, according to a news release from the Carroll County State’s Attorney’s Office. Investigators believe Wade forced the victim into a car at knifepoint, after which she drove him to his home in the 400 block of Baldwin Park Drive, near the Carroll County Farm Museum. According to the news release, he […]](https://www.baltimoresun.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/UXIPYD37HFFUDCWJ34MLDUXK6U-2.jpg?w=620)